Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC restarts after changing power supply and fan...?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 poddo

poddo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hello there! this is kinda my first post on this website and still new here so i'm sorry if i'm repeating something that's been asked before, but here are the details:

a few months back i noticed with speccy that my pc has unreasonable temperatures, even when idle(went up to 80 celsius..and a 100 when playing a very old pc game on low resolution/quality settings...) so i had my cpu fan replaced, it turned out that my power supply sucked and it apparently caused my fan to stop working due to giving it too much electricity(i'm not sure if this really was the case but either way the power supply was terrible and one of the causes for my high temps when playing games).

after changing the fan and the power supply, my temp goes only as high as 59 at max when playing as heavy as games that this pc can handle, to my relief, but that didn't end the problems.

after getting the new power supply, i've had this happen two times - pc randomly restarts usually after long periods of being on(which didn't even happen with my old psu and fan going to crazy temps so it does not have to do with overheating), even when the temperature is nice and low. after shutting down randomly, it restarted, and after i entered my user and continued to do things again, a few minutes later it shut down again for the second time, but this time didn't restart, the power was COMPLETELY cut off the second time it shuts off - normally my pc would have it's mouse's laser or my gamepad's lights being on even when turned off but connected to my ups(which i always have had my pc plugged into btw, so the shutting off is not related with the electricity input either) so i can assume completely that this is not due to overheating at all, because most of the time the power doesn't completely cut off itself when overheating.

so after this happens and my power is just..off(not my monitor so i can also assume it's not my ups at fault), i have to manually turn off my ups and turn it back on again and start my pc and it finally works. both times this happened, it had this exact same pattern, and didn't turn off the third time it turned on, but both times after turning it on the third time, i just saw if it was still starting up correctly, turned it off and let it cool down. each time this happened my pc's power wire and psu were albeit warm. happened in the beginning of spring and today(summer here) so i doubt it has to do with surrounding temperatures because it was very cold during spring(i don't use any air conditioners even though it costs my pc a bit..)

so in my conclusion i am guessing that this may be my power supply. and yes, this had happened after long hours of heavy use, including gaming and/or high ram usage. it should also be noted that the wire i am using to connect my psu to mmy ups is not the wire that came with my psu, so it might not be compatible..

thank you for taking the time to read, i hope i didn't make this post too long, i just wanted to get all the details out so i didn't attract any generic replies like "it's overheating" or "you're having electricity shortages".

pc specs that might have to do with the problem(as much as i can provide):

psu: Value-Top ATX-20 500 WATT (this being my new psu of course)

cpu: Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz

motherboard: Intel Corporation DH61HO
ram: 4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
gpu: S19B150 on AMD Radeon HD 6450 3577 MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

could you read this How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy and paste your link of speecy snapshot on your next post. just snapshot link not upload it :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 poddo

poddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:11 AM

woah, that was a useful thing to learn! here it is http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KpDIGUSCqQ7fXCX1BgHubnt 

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2014 - 02:36 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

are you sure about that link? because when I opened it it say Page not found

#5 poddo

poddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

huh...that's odd...maybe becuase i turned off my pc earlier, how about now? sorry about the mass of chrome processes http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7gcZBYUlpuJYL2CWjx6Wpsg

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

could you disassemble your mainboard for physical test? if yes bring it to place that have bright place (I usually use a LED Flashlight because I usually work at night and my work room not too bright) and check does any burn sign or any faulty capacitor?

do that for your VGA card too. while you do that do some cleaning will be great as sometimes too many dust could make problem like yours :wink:

if you dont see any physical damage on your Mainboard and VGA Card then you could do a RAM test, please read this for How to Test your RAM

please tell result for physical test and RAM test on your next post

#7 poddo

poddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

Done! there are no burns or leaking capacitors, cleaning helped my max temps while gaming go down by a few celsius(yay!)

ah, i'm really sorry about not having the ram test results. first of all do i HAVE to burn it to a cd? can't it be a usb drive instead? i don't have anything like a blank cd at hand and i don't thing i can buy one either

also, how do i post the ram test results? will it be available in something like a .txt file after i restart my pc or do i have to somehow take a screenshot? how do i do that?

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

try download Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) after that please extract and install it.

#9 poddo

poddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

Did the ram test! for about 2:30 hours, was that enough? it was all okay, no errors.

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

sorry my mistake. I forget to say leave it all night so it could run for a couple of hours :wink:

could you tell which heatsink fan that you use?

do you have any temperature reading software like cpu temp or other? use a freeware will better because this was only for you to monitor does your computer was overheat and  your Mainboard automatically run a autoshutdown to protect something get burn.

#11 poddo

poddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

oh alright. i'll do that tomorrow night since i couldn't tonight.

yeah, i have speccy, and don't worry, i make sure my temps don't go around 70 degrees celsius after changing my fan. i'm not sure what exactly my fan is sadly, i had someone else buy it for me. and yeah, i know pcs restart automaticly from overheating but that's where my conflict begins - each time my pc restarted the way i stated on the post, i had speccy running and the temps were at 40 degrees celsius

i'll run the ram check properly tomorrow, maybe that has to do with it because both times it restarted my ram was actually in heavy use/had heavy use

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

It better to run memtest at night while your sleeping so when you wake up in morning you could see the result :wink:

if you computer restart, sometimes it was because memory / vga card or something on your mainboard and sometimes because your heatsink fan that touch / too close some capacitor or if you screw your heatsink fan too tight / loose, hard to tell what make it restart without touch it so please take some test slowly :smash:

#13 poddo

poddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

I did the ram test properly, no errors! left it on for 7 hours

oooh well, my vga does not have it's own fan, might that be related? my fan is fixed okay i think -- it's not touching any capacitors either. so everything so far is okay. still no answer to my problem though..

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

You might pick up a few clues by looking at Event Viewer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/160855-shut-down-view-details-last-shutdown-computer.html

#15 poddo

poddo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

hello there, this is a super late reply, but this happened again, only once this time though, and i'd like to inform that my speakers made this weird buzzing noise before it shut down again. i have the event log, do i paste it here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users