Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Document files are messed up bad

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nsilvis

nsilvis

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

When I scanned some certificates they generally go to the scanned document file. I couldn't find them, so I did a search and the scan put them in my picture file under my brothers name. I am in total confusion, so I looked around and everything is every place. Did I get a virus of some sort and it corrupted my Libraries?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

Did you look through your scanner settings to see if the settings have the scanner set to send them to your brothers pictures file?

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

I run into this fairly often in small offices where several people scan stuff, they do not look at the menu and often select saving as a photo in another account.  It is important to take your time being careful to watch the menu.

If you can remember the file names you can type them into the search programs and files then just click on them.

Edited by OldPhil, 31 March 2014 - 03:41 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 nsilvis

nsilvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

My problem is larger than just the scanner and I should have explained this better. In my libraries, everything is all over the place, My pic's are in 6 different places, doc's are also all over the place there is no numerical or alphabetic  placement.  2's are before 1's I try to sort it by date, doesn't happen, its just plain crazy.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

In my libraries, everything is all over the place

I think it is time you sat down and sorted out the organisation of your files !  There is no hard and fast rule as to how you do this, but the aim of the exercise is to be able to find a particular file again should you need it.

Using the 'libraries' in Windows is fine, but you still need to organise your files. The only thing I use the Windows libraries for is the odd default file thrown up by some of my games - which aren't important - and keeping my wallpapers in, but this is a personal prejudice and not by any means something that would suit everybody.

To take our personal photos as an example, I have a folder called - with startling originality - Photos !  Inside this, continuing the theme of original thought, I have folders called Photos 1, Photos 2 . . . to currently Photos 13. Inside each folder, the images are catalogued by year, month and subject, each group in its own folder. Whenever one of these Photos_n folders gets to about 4 - 4.5 Gb it gets backed up to a DVD while the originals remain on my hard drive, and I go on to Photos_n+1. While none of these images are in \Pictures\My Pictures this organisation would work as well there as it does on my Drive_F.

The same principals can be applied to any other type of file :-  Word documents - a folder for mortgages or rental; bank accounts; family, etc..

How you organise your files is how you organise your files, but you do need to organise them !. The only reason for saving a file is to be able to refer to it again in the future, and if you can't find it you might as well not have saved it in the first place.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 nsilvis

nsilvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

I am Very well aware of how to organize my folders, that isn't the issue/problem. The problem is that inside the folder is for instance

If I go to my documents, inside there is my pictures, my videos or maybe C:\user\nick silvis, C:\user\nick silvis\documents. so

I have Parkinson's, so my hands shake and jerk uncontrollable,  could I have hit something that made all my folders go in to folders in 2 to 6 different places??? 

is there a field that I can open to remove the folders from inside folders File, View, Edit, tools??

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

I apologise if I have unintentionally caused any offence.

I know a little about Parkinsons because my late Auntie May suffered from it in her declining years. Have you been using Windows Explorer to move files and folders around ?  The reason I ask is that with good co-ordination it is easy enough to drop a file or a folder in the wrong place, never mind with a shaky hand !

I cannot think of a tool that would directly resolve your problem - "Is there a field that I can open to remove the folders from inside folders File, View, Edit, tools??" - but I can think of a couple of ways you might find life easier.

The first is simply to increase text and object sizes. RIGHT click on a blank piece of screen, then select 'Screen resolution'. Underneath the central panel you will see a command 'Make text etc. larger / smaller'. Using this would increase the size of on-screen text by up to 150%, which is a useful increase.

The second is to try the 'Magnifier' - 'Start - All programs - Accessories - Ease of access - Magnifier'. It is not the easiest of tools to use. Both of these methods would have the effect of giving you a much bigger target to aim at when moving files and folders around.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 nsilvis

nsilvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users