Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random BSoDs, Crashes, Computer Hanging and General Slowness

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Micaso

Micaso

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hey everyone. I seem to have encountered a problem but I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. It all started when I got a BSOD watching a video on my computer. This started to happen frequently (every couple of days). I pinned it on my very old graphics card and settled for just waiting it out seeing as I was gonna buy a new graphics card eventually. Once I set it up, the problem persisted and got worse, so I don't think it's a graphics problem. BSOD's got more frequent, where I can't even watch a 30 minute video anymore because my computer would either: hang completely (sound stops, desktop dissapears, can't open anything, can't close anything, windows start dissapearing and glitching and I have to eventually turn off the computer because I can't interact at all with my system) or get a BSOD.

Sometimes I get no error on the blue screen. The one I got a few times was KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. A quick google search pointed the culprit towards either faulty HDD or RAM. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and it came up with no errors. I ran chkdsk a few times (well, every time I got a BSOD it would run automatically), but it didn't solve the problem. I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and got a big yellow "Caution" popup. Something wrong with the Current Pending Sector Count. I'm getting 200 and I guess that's not normal, although I don't know how to fix it or even if that's what's causing everything.

I've tried recreating the problem. Sometimes it's random. I'm browsing the internet and suddenly I can't reach a webpage, it takes forever to load, windows start dissapearing and I can't hear anything. Something that happens consistently is that I'm hearing music and the music gets to one point and it jumps about a minute back, gets to the same point and repeats. This is when my computer hangs and I can't do anything but wait it out. Eventually the music goes past that point (and fast forwards a lot) and the system is back to normal. The hanging/BSOD almost always happens after watching a video for long enough (twitch stream, youtube, etc). Usually about fifteen to twenty minutes. I'm leaning towards a HDD problem, or maybe even a CPU problem but I wouldn't know. I'm also noticing that in a lot of games I play I'm getting frame lag. Constantly. It's timed. Happens every couple of seconds depending on the game. It happens in most games, and that never used to happened before. Shouldn't be happening now that I have a new GPU, either.

My system specs are the following:

• AMD Phenom II x6 1055t Processor
  • ASUS GTX 760 Ti Graphics Card
  • 2x4 GB DD3 Kingston Memory
  • Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 Motherboard
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate it.

Edited by Micaso, 31 March 2014 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

This happened to me a couple months ago i fixed it by updating my bios. Have you tried updating if there is any?

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Hello and welcome to BC :welcome:

could you read this How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy and paste your link of speecy snapshot on your next post. just snapshot link not upload it :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

:welcome: Micaso to Bleeping Computer Community :)

I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo and got a big yellow "Caution" popup. Something wrong with the Current Pending Sector Count. I'm getting 200 and I guess that's not normal, although I don't know how to fix it or even if that's what's causing everything.

Create a backup plan immediately then post the hard drive brand next time please. If Windows is unbootable due to corrupt or bad sectors, use a Puppy Linux (how to create) bootable disc to proceed with the data recovery. Note : To recover data, see move to page 2 or click this link.

Tekken

#5 Micaso

Micaso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the welcome! Here are the system specs.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/J8owt6yvUbNkc6gtlSfjNo2

I wrote down the STOP error that I sometimes get on BSOD's, if it's of any use: STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA80096B7B30, 0xFFFFFA80096B7E10, 0xFFFFF80003F977B0)

Edited by Micaso, 01 April 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:41 AM

Please see Post #4.

Tekken

#7 Micaso

Micaso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

It looks like it was a hard drive issue. It gave up and died and I haven't been able to boot up from it. I've since gotten a new hard drive and done a clean install of windows on it. I'm not getting any blue screens of death any more, or any crashes, but I seem to still have an issue with frame lag in games. Like I mentioned before, in every game I play (that I re-downloaded now and used to work just fine before this problem appeared), I get slight lag every couple of seconds. Specifically, everything stops for 1/4th of a second then goes on. This happens repeatedly every five seconds. So, for example, I can't steady my aim in an FPS game because I'm moving my cursor to the right and when that stop occurs, my aim ends up way farther than what I expected. Or, well, it's just an annoying lag in any other game. I think it might be a CPU problem? I've since underclocked my CPU back to 2.8 Ghz (I had overclocked it to 3.5 Ghz as soon as I bought it two years ago) in hopes it might be a heating issue. But I'm not sure where this problem could be coming from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users