Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced monitor DVI cable - now computer won’t POST?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 squimmy

squimmy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Hi,

I’ve apparently borked my computer to the point where it won’t POST just by replacing the DVI cable - and I don’t understand how that is at all possible.

I have a new monitor coming tomorrow, and wanted to see if the very short DVI cable I bought for it is even long enough to use with my current monitor, so I switched the cables round. Before I did that it was a fully working system. No problems whatsoever. Now though, I don’t think the the computer POSTs, I can’t get anything to appear on my monitor, and I don’t know what to do!

I have a P8P67 motherboard which has a DRAM LED light which flashes intermittently red. It comes on about every 5 seconds, and stays on for a second. I don’t know if this is bad, I can’t find anywhere on the internet that explains what the intermittent flashing means, only a continuous red and a flashing red. I’ve tried every combo of RAM stick/RAM slot and none of them helped anyway. The intermittent red flashing might be fine for all I know. I cannot get any beep’s out of it - now I did have to extract the speaker from a computer that hasn’t been touched in about 10 years so it’s possible the speaker itself doesn’t work, but I would imagine it’s just the computer that’s not working. I’ve tried removing the GPU to get beeps out of it but no luck there.

All the fans come on, and I *think* I can hear the HDD starting up. Just no beeps, and no visual.

HELP! What should I do? I have absolutely no idea how to go about fixing this!

Thanks for any help at all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Welcome,

What happens when you use the old cable or even a VGA cable? Do you have a way to test the new cable safely?

Did you get a manual with the motherboard? It might provide some insight into the meaning of the flashing lights and lack of beeps.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

I have a P8P67 motherboard which has a DRAM LED light which flashes intermittently red. It comes on about every 5 seconds, and stays on for a second. I don’t know if this is bad, I can’t find anywhere on the internet that explains what the intermittent flashing means, only a continuous red and a flashing red. I’ve tried every combo of RAM stick/RAM slot and none of them helped anyway. The intermittent red flashing might be fine for all I know. I cannot get any beep’s out of it - now I did have to extract the speaker from a computer that hasn’t been touched in about 10 years so it’s possible the speaker itself doesn’t work, but I would imagine it’s just the computer that’s not working. I’ve tried removing the GPU to get beeps out of it but no luck there.

All the fans come on, and I *think* I can hear the HDD starting up. Just no beeps, and no visual.

HELP! What should I do? I have absolutely no idea how to go about fixing this!

Thanks for any help at all!

if you not sure about your beep speaker, you could try to hear Windows start up sound, just to make sure it boot to windows or not :wink:

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

Just to add to what was already suggested, remove every external devices with computer turned off and power cord unplugged. Remove the CMOS battery and every cable/data/power connectors including RAM modules, video card not included. Press the power button for 30 seconds. Check the CPU heatsink and or reseat it properly. Place back all connections making sure they are properly seated and only a single stick of RAM (and or alternately) to check the difference. Try powering up and see if it makes a video output this time.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users