Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please help me

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mx718

mx718

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

I will make this as short as possible. I have had a broken Emachines desktop w/ Vista for a long time and the diagnosis was a bad power supply. I just now got around to purchasing one and it came in today. I followed a Youtube video and installed it. BOOM the computer came on but I have no idea what my password was for Vista. I have since bought a new computer and want all my pictures off the old one and onto the new one. I do NOT have the Vista boot CD or a password recovery CD. I have been searching online all day, watching videos, reading forums and cannot figure anything out. I downloaded a program called Windows Rescue Password Advanced and something called Ophcrack. Neither one worked because I do not have a CD/DVD burner. I was cheap when I had my new computer built and just didn't get one. I am stuck trying to boot these password recovery programs VIA USB. The Emachines wont boot a USB so after doing some reading I removed the hard drive from the old, put it in the new. It starts up fine, nothing wrong there. I went into the startup BIOS I think its called and changed the order of the boot to the USB drive and it is not starting any of these programs. I have formatted the USB twice once to FAT32 one to just FAT, it just wont work. It just starts up VIsta as it normally would. Does anyone have any recommendations as to another program to use or something I am doing wrong with the boot process/USB? I am no wiz but with good instructions I think I can figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

F Brown 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

A possibility!  Remove the HD from the E machine move the jumpers on it to make it a slave, the jumpers are normally marked on the drive.  Then install it in your new computer, you should be able to access the files you wish to save.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 mx718

mx718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

To slave it I would need a SATA power adapter to make it a second hard drive correct? My current Desktop I would be hooking it up to only came with one. As seen below is what I'd need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812104652

And thank you for the reply.

#4 mx718

mx718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

Is there any other thing I can do? Anyone familiar with booting from a USB with password recovery software installed?

#5 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

I am. Read this about how to use ophcrack.

#6 mx718

mx718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

I read that already. I burned the ISO file to the USB and set the computer to boot the USB but it just kept booting off the hard drive. There is no other way to do it because I do not have a CD burner. I am downloading "PC Login Now" to see if that works. I will let you know.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

Many systems have both connectors IDE and SATA, you need to look inside to see.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,659 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

The link in your post#3 would not work if you do not have an IDE port on the motherboard. That link shows an adapter that will only to supply power to a SATA drive. You could try one of these adapters or buy a USB enclosure. I would assume you have a 3 1/2 hard drive.

You probably do not have one but does the emachine desktop have a floppy drive and do you have a floppy disk?

#9 mx718

mx718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Many systems have both connectors IDE and SATA, you need to look inside to see.

But the only connection on the back of the hard drive is for a SATA connector and the power coming from the power supply.

#10 mx718

mx718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

I dont want to get off topic about connectors. Regardless right now I can hook up the old hard drive and it runs fine. Hooking it up as a slave is not an option right now because I do not have enough connectors to make it work. I need some advice on how to retrieve the password or pictures off the hard drive. 

#11 mx718

mx718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

I am. Read this about how to use ophcrack.

I was finally able to figure out how to get the ISO file onto a CD and it ran on startup but did not find the passwords. According to most forums that program is the best. I really do not know what to do. I have a wedding coming up and really need those pics for a slideshow.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,659 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

Sorry, I thought the drive from the emachines was IDE. How many sata ports are on the motherboard? If the Emachines drive is sata, connect the drive to one of the other SATA ports and boot the computer. You should be able to see the data on the drive.

Edit: If you cannot access the drive from within the OS of the new computer, download an iso of Fatdog64. This is a version of puppy that will boot from UEFI and Secureboot if you have it. Burn it to a CD. Boot the CD and it should show something like sda1 and sdb1, sdb1 being the drive from the old computer. Click once on the each drive and a file manager window will appear. Then select the files you want to copy and drag them over to the other file manager window. By booting to linux you are completely bypassing the Windows login password. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 March 2014 - 03:17 PM.

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

It does not cost you a dime to slave the drive, once hooked up you gain access to all files and photos.  They can be dragged and dropped on the C: drive or onto a flash drive.  I have yet to see a machine that does not have multiple connectors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users