Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need replacement computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mattytun1514

mattytun1514

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hi everyone. I sorely need advice regarding a replacement computer. I currently have a Dell Dimension DM061 which is probably 10 years old - and has XP installed on it. It has recently started to be slow to load up the desktop items for some reason - I have run my Anti-virus set up and Malwarebytes too - and no virus has been detected.

I realise XP is no longer supported - and in view of the age of the computer and the fact that I am definitely not technically minded to be able to carry out upgrades myself - I have decided to replace the computer.

However, what to get and where to go for it - that is the question. There is SO MUCH to choose from and it is all too technical. Can forumites please guide me. I generally use my computer for word processing, the occasional spreadsheet, loading up my mp3 from my music lists, and internet searching, banking, emails, skype (with webcam) etc. I will not need it for gaming at all. I don't have lots of photographs saved. I have to say, however, that I am very impatient and do not want to wait forever for things to load up.

As I said, technology is not my forte - so I need responses that are simple and basic.

I look forward to receiving your knowledgeable help   I was thinking in the area of £500 to spend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

For 500 (850USD) you should be able to find a pretty decent computer.

If you want you can most likely still use the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse. (though you certainly dont have to)

I would look for a decently priced computer with:

1. Eeither an i3-4XXX or an i5-4XXX, these are the newest intel processors, the i5 will be more powerful but you will most certainly not need an i5, usually the price difference is minimal.
  2. 6-12GB RAM (Memory) more would be fine too, you probably dont want less than 6 though.
  3. 250+ GB Hard disc drive (HDD) or a hybrid system with a small (32GB) SSD and a paired HDD (usually 250) or just a straight SSD I would suggest 120GB or more.

Other than that you should be fine with whatever they have, to be honest with what you want to do with it, and the price range, you can probably find a decent laptop (same criteria) if you wanted.

#3 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Duplicate post, see below.

Edited by compnovo, 31 March 2014 - 03:39 PM.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#4 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

Hi everyone. I sorely need advice regarding a replacement computer. I currently have a Dell Dimension DM061 which is probably 10 years old - and has XP installed on it. It has recently started to be slow to load up the desktop items for some reason - I have run my Anti-virus set up and Malwarebytes too - and no virus has been detected.

I realise XP is no longer supported - and in view of the age of the computer and the fact that I am definitely not technically minded to be able to carry out upgrades myself - I have decided to replace the computer.

However, what to get and where to go for it - that is the question. There is SO MUCH to choose from and it is all too technical. Can forumites please guide me. I generally use my computer for word processing, the occasional spreadsheet, loading up my mp3 from my music lists, and internet searching, banking, emails, skype (with webcam) etc. I will not need it for gaming at all. I don't have lots of photographs saved. I have to say, however, that I am very impatient and do not want to wait forever for things to load up.

As I said, technology is not my forte - so I need responses that are simple and basic.

I look forward to receiving your knowledgeable help   I was thinking in the area of £500 to spend.

I was going to look for a couple of recommendations in your price range but realized my resources won't do you any good since I'm over here in the "colonies".  :-)

Can you send us a link of an online retailer in the UK you might be using?  I would be happy to do some exploring for you on that site.

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

I am sure you have Ebay, I bought several machines off there.  You have money back protection, deal only with seller with ratings in the 99+ and you will have no issues.  Most have decent warranties.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

Hi Matty,,,,

I am not computer savvy myself & if it were not for BC I would not have even stuck with using a computer as I only started last July,I had XP also & did not want the problems that I think wil be inevitable running an unsupported OS.

I went to Walmart on line & got a great HP Intel Pentium dual core 64bit(4GB) refurbished computer with Windows 7(it came with new keyboard & mouse)& a 12 month warranty....................I found exactly what I wanted & spent exactly what I could afford & love it,I had it shipped to my local store(got it within a week),they opened up the box to mae sure everything looked up to par & I went home & was up & running in a few hours............................it is worth taking a look,they have so much to choose from &  very good prices....With your budget,you can buy brand new if you want & thgey have even more to choose from

Best Regards,Kwik

Edited by newbleeping, 01 April 2014 - 07:54 AM.

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

Good reminder!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:55 AM

How much space are you using for MP3's?

Lately, for basic uses, I have been suggesting the Intel NUC boxes. They are inexpensive, TINY, and fairly quick.

Example: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-ice-canyon-nuc-barebone-core-i3-3217u-dual-channel-ddr3-sodimm-msata-mdp-mhdmi-plus180gb-intel

All that box needs is a bit of ram, and it is up and running!

180GB isn't a lot of space, but being a SSD drive, it is quick. If you need more space, there are solutions for that as well.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users