Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop battery driving me INSANE!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

I'm pulling my hair out on this one...

Compaq Presario R3000- yeah, I know it's ancient but it's a specialized piece for a sewing business (handles blueprints and links to sewing machine)

The old battery only lasts about 30 minutes. I ordered a new one 'direct part replacement'. It's a genuine Compaq battery. I put the new battery in and it was recognized, but wouldn't charge. The power meter showed a red X over the battery symbol. I tried every suggestion I could find to no avail. I was going to do a BIOS upgrade but the file I got from Compaq for the R3000 showed that it wasn't compatible, so I didn't want to chance bricking the laptop. Sent the battery back and was given a replacement from the vendor.

This time I followed the procedures by the book. No battery installed, unplugged the AC, and bled out the power (held power button down for 1 minute). Then installed the battery and plugged in the AC. Let it set over the weekend. Nothing new- same issues with the previous battery. I also tried uninstalling the battery from Device Manager, but that does nothing.

The only thing I haven't tried is resetting the CMOS, not sure if that would help but would require a complete teardown. :smash:

Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Re-setting the bios can't hurt... Worth a try.

Was there a manufacture date on those new batteries? Lithium batteries wear out over time, usually the life span is 2-3 years regardless of it being used or not (charge cycles do matter though). Also if a L-ion battery goes below a certain voltage it "locks" the battery permanently. Due to the age of the machine I am guessing it would be nearly impossible to get a new battery that was manufactured recently.

My guess is that both batteries you recieved have been sitting so long, the voltage dropped below the safe level and the batteries were "locked" by the protection circuit. It is nearly as bad to undervolt a L-ion battery than it is to over volt them, this is why the protection circuit kicks in when voltage is too low or too high.

In this situation, I might actually recommend a generic battery. (I almost never recommend going this way) but: sometimes generic batteries are manufactured long after the genuine batteries stop being produced. There is a possibilty you could get a "newer" after market battery.

If you can find a genuine battery that was manufactured recently that would be the best way to go, though a lot of the time there is no manufacture date stamped on the batteries, sometimes you can use some of the numbers on the battery to find the manufacture date out. Usually it requires a bit of research and some wierd battery # code key. 

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the reply...I guess I'll try resetting the BIOS.

The date code on both the old and new battery is 7J0414. I haven't been able to figure out what it means. The part number on the batteries are SPS-346970-001. Series model # is HSTNN-UB02.

Yes, the age of the system (and batteries) was a concern for me going into this, but it was insistent that I replace the battery. Your assumption was the same as mine- that the OEM batteries are probably 'dead', which is why I sent back the first one.

I guess I could risk a few dollars on a generic battery, just to cover my bases. :thumbup2:

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

Unfortunatley I could not find anything on that date code. I believe the F means it was made in June, beyond that I have no idea. I wish that there was a universal battery code chart. I have been unable to find one.

I could be wrong on the F though. I found a dell battery code walkthrough here: http://mikebeach.org/2011/02/08/reading-the-date-code-on-your-dell-laptop-battery/

I have a feeling hp/compaq may be different.

Edited by zingo156, 31 March 2014 - 11:14 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

I seem to recall seeing the battery manufacture date in linux (parted magic). I wonder if since the battery is recognized you could get that information at either a bios level or OS level.

EDIT here is how from command line: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/118646/how-to-find-out-the-manufacturing-date-of-a-battery-from-linux

Edited by zingo156, 31 March 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

I'm getting an Unknown status from the battery. The only thing that is recognized is that a 'battery' is present.

Resetting the CMOS is out....just disassembled the thing and the battery is soldered on. I don't have any soldering equipment, nor do I have the means to create a new battery unit (plastic cover, solder connections) to replace it.

I found a few "new" replacement battery that aren't genuine, so I guess I'll try those and hope for the best.

Thanks!

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Yeah those soldered on cmos batteries aren't fun. I wouldn't think resetting the bios would change anything anyway. All it does is load the default values so in theory going into the bios and loading the default values would do the same thing. You could try doing that, just remember to check and set your time correctly in windows on the next boot or you may run into some certificate errors online etc.

Edited by zingo156, 31 March 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Good deal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users