Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't type login password Win8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jskamm

jskamm

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Can someone help me?

Running win8.1 on new Toshiba laptop. When I boot up the laptop, I get to the windows splash screen where to shows the date and time. 

Can someone tell me how to get to the login screen? pressing enter, esc, or any other key does nothing. Splash screen just sits there until screen saver goes blank, then I have to press the start button once to get back to splash screen. Pressing the windows key does nothing.

I can get past the splash screen if I insert a USB mouse and right click the mouse. I see the login screen. When trying to type password on login screen, I can't type anything in the password field. None of the keys work.

Can someone supply me with any suggestions to get past this problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

Hey there,

try pressing space bar.

That is the button i press to log on with Windows 8.1.

If this does not work there may be an issue with your keyboard.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 jskamm

jskamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Darktune,

I've tried tapping all the keys even the spacebar and no luck.

Any other suggestions. 

Is there any way to log into safe mode? I bought this laptop from a big box store and didn't receive a setup disk for windows.

Thanks

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

You could try pressing repeatedly F8 when you turn your laptop on or Shift and F8.

This may not work with Windows 8.1 but you could give it a try. Let me know how it goes.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users