Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MODERATOR: My problem rash (of post-ICE problems) has cleared up!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ImBubba

ImBubba

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

:scratchhead:

I do not quite understand why things went so crazy wrong with my Internet communications after I did a recovery restart to an earlier checkpoint to get rid of an ICE ransomeware problem.  IE10 (and after it IE11) could not access the Internet, Malwarebytes couldn't get its updates, Norton couldn't update either.  My Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail would not access the mail servers I use ... but Chrome WOULD access the Internet without a problem.  I ran many of the tools recommended elsewhere in this forum to try to solve the Internet connection problem and nothing seemed to find any significant problems and nothing improved my situation.  

I finally decided to tell Windows to make Chrome my default browser, and I uninstalled and re-installed Norton Internet Security and re-booted my computer.  I ran a Norton Quick Scan just to prove it worked and went to bed.

In the morning I tried to see if the re-installed Norton Internet Security could find and install its updates. IT DID!  Malwarebytes also installed its updates!  My Thunderbird e-mail also worked, and I could get to all the printers on my home network and access shared files on other computers on the network!  IE11 works just fine now.  It is as if I never had a problem at all.

In short, GOD SMILED ON ME! ... and I've set a new checkpoint for any future recovery needs.  I am happy, happy!   :clapping:

MODERATOR:  You may delete this posting and the two related ones I posted earlier as I wrestled with this problem.  Their links are shown below.

Thanks!  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529185/recovering-from-ice-is-killing-me-need-some-guidance-please/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529081/need-help-trying-to-recover-after-riding-myself-of-ransomeware-takeover-screen/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

Glad you resolved your issues.

We don't normally delete posts/topics...we prefer for them to be available as a resource for others who may find themselves in a similar situation as yours.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users