Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP: USB ports stopped working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimipre

jimipre

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

I have a Dell Latitude  E6520, running Win 7 Pro, SP1, 32 bit. The USB ports have stopped working. They do power things up, like I can charge my cell phone, but they do not recognize any devices that I plug in.

Previously. This happened once before and I was advised by Dell Support to start into safe mode, then Admin mode, then log in regular. It worked and the USB ports started working. 

I tried that this times and they did not come back. I have run several anti-malware programs and everything looks clean. Also, i have went into the device manager and made sure all of my USB drivers where up to date

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

Go into your device manager and physically remove all of the USB devices and ports. (right click remove) do the mouse last, or use your touchpad for the last ones.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete together to get to Windows page. Tab over and press enter on the power off/restart.

Windows will re-install all of your USB drivers on boot.

Better now?

Edited by TsVk!, 31 March 2014 - 01:15 AM.

#3 jimipre

jimipre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:25 AM

I really wish I could say it is better, but it isnt. I Think Dell had me do that the last time and it didnt work. I have on-site service so, i am get them out and fic it as the warranty expires in less than 80 days

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

That's a good idea,

Good luck.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Have you tried plugging in a usb keyboard (disconnect all other usb devices) then try to use the usb keyboard in the bios to move around? If it works at a bios level, you likely have an OS problem. You could also try to boot to linux something like mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and see if your usb devices work there.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users