Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Testing Internet Speed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

Besides Bellsouth's speed test, are there any other websites that offer realiable internet connection, downloading, and uploading speed tests?
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:30 PM

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?more=1

Only 324 of them listed, worldwide there . Or you could google like I did and come up with these results: Results 1 - 10 of about 22,900,000 for Bandwidth Speed Tests.

Be (Bandwidth Speed Test) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:53 PM

I always recommend using several different sites/tests, and at different times of the day; these can then be averaged for a more reliable result. The sites listed in DSL reports, linked to by Animal, are more than acceptable.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:54 AM

I have been using http://performance.toast.net/ for years.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

just thought i would also add to this. i have found downloading anything from google to be very indicative of your dl capability. just think of the ul bandwidth that the servers would require just to sustain all the info requests. google toolbar is small, and gives you a quick forray into your dl peak. like mentioned above, time of day does make a big diff to a lot of speedtests, but i have found google to be rather solid. how bout you guys?
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 mastercopy

mastercopy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:30 PM

Numion

Closed html tags. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 19 May 2006 - 11:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users