Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think i have a infection, causes windows to reboot

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gippygopy

gippygopy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

hi all,

this is baffling me,

one minute laptop fine, next minute after downloading a small application ( did not run it though, but avira antivirus beeped 3 times as i opened the download folder )

i immediately deleted the folder, updated avira and restarted pc. everything seemed fine until could not connect to internet as usual, so restarted pc, and thats when all hell broke loose !

now the pc takes approx 10 mins to load windows xp to the desktop, but after about a minute ( during which i can navigate around the desktop as normal, but can not copy or move stuff ) i get the following message in a box in the middle of the screen-----

"windows is shutting down

the shutdown was initiated by NT authority/system

will shutdown in 59 seconds

windows must now restart because the remote procedure call ( rpc ) service terminated unexpectedly"

its definately a virus or malware cos during the short time i have before the above message appears, i am not allowed to copy my files ( even the paste command is greyed out ), i have no access to the task bar, and even in safe mode i have the same issues.

im quite happy to reinstall xp, but i desperately want to rescue my personal files first ( they are in a folder on the desktop ), but this rotten infection will not allow me to do this, i cannot copy to a usb stick or whatever cos the files cannot be moved or copied to anywhere.

i cannot even get the taskbar to appear.

aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh !!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users