Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone have a Reliable Uncomplicated Database Program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Several years ago I had one of the well-known database programs - I really like the way it worked - I don't remember what it was.

Now I have Libre Office free program which contains a database capability but I'm having a tough time deciphering who to use it/how it works.

Does anyone have any other database / sort programs you would recommend?

Thanks. :scratchhead:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

Are you looking for something like MS Excel, or a "real" database program like Oracle, PostgreSQL, Axapta, etc.?

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

I guess I must be looking for something like Excel because none of the other names sound familiar.   It seems like what I used was Dbase something but I don't see any reference to it now so it must be a really old program however I found it useful and user friendly.   I am trying to use Libre Office database but I'm not sure I'm understanding it and I'm concerned the time I'm using it may end up being wasted if I get it wrong.   I guess I don't like things that take a lot of reading and instructions - things that are intuitive are great if you can find them.    I welcome any suggestions you have.

#4 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:05 AM

Yes, DBase is quite an old program.  But it is actually still being sold in a newer version compatible with at least Win 7.  Check out www.dbase.com/‎.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

Yes, DBase is quite an old program.  But it is actually still being sold in a newer version compatible with at least Win 7.  Check out www.dbase.com/‎.

Thanks, I did check your link and tried to download the trial version but I could never get past that stupid CAPTCHA thing and finally gave up maybe I'll try later.

I swear even though I put in the correct numbers it still says wrong - there are other "tests" to use besides CAPTCHA, I think its one of the most annoying things on the internet.

But anyway thanks for the link.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Are you looking for a relational database or just a simple flat-file database that stores and sorts. For a simple flat-file database there is a portable freeware version called snapdb.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2185

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 April 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Thanks, I will look into that.   From what I can see, old or not, dBase is priced out of my league right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users