Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Slow Death Of My Computer =(

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fraserfindlay

fraserfindlay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

Hello, this is my first post but I am happy to say this site has been the most helpful utility so far in saving my poor little laptop.

I am not a highly technical person so please forgive me if some of what I say in regards to my problems sounds strange.

So, I have a Dell. Inspiron 9100 with Windows XP Home.

Over the past month the poor thing has started to run slower and slower. I began to notice the issue when World of Warcraft began to randomly freeze on me. No matter how long I would wait it would never come out of the freeze so I would be forced to manually turn of the computer and it was none too happy when it was restarted.

Startup can now take up to half an hour! I assessed the startup menu and have disables many of the programs such as aol, yahoo messenger etc to try and help, but it does not always work. Sometimes I turn it on and it runs very well for an hour or so then begins to slow more and more, and sometimes I turn it on and it wont even respond enough to let me open a web browser.

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I got a message saying that Windows had recovered from a critical error that had something to do with my video card driver. After scouring all the appropriate sites for a driver update I finally give in and call Dell at which time I'm told I need to download the ATI 9800 driver from dell.support.com.

I have done this, and sometimes my computer runs at a decent speed, but mostly I have to fight with it to get it to do even the simplest of tasks.

Pls help! I would love to have my little laptop back in working condition!

Thankyou in advance and I hope I have given enough info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:23 PM

fraserfindlay,

First of all let me say :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

May I suggest you take a look at the topic pinned at the top of this forum titled Slow Computer? Here is a link. If your computer is still slow after trying the items suggested in that post. Please read this this post you may skip step one since you are already registered. Hope this helps.

Be (Step By Step Diagnosis) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users