Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Connectivity Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MikeySW

MikeySW

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Ok, this one will be tough to trouble shoot. I help out at my Church with the media (projector and stuff). They kinda look to me as their tech guy which has been fine up until now. The PC that I use to run the worship software is having a hard time STAYING connected to our wifi network. Rather, it seems to lose only INTERNET connectivity. Which is weird. At first I thought the router, so we unplugged it, reset it, so on and so forth. Same with the modem. The problem persists. No other device has this issue, whether it is a smart phone, tablet or laptop. All files I work on at home I save to Dropbox, and when the PC boots into windows and Dropbox starts up it downloads the files and then we lose internet. The next time I try to access a web page (through chrome, ie, etc) the wifi icon on the tool bar gets the yellow triangle. I open the network menu, disconnect from the church wifi. Immediately reconnect to it and as long as I'm quick about it I have internet action just as long as data is moving. Like I can download a file so long as I start it as soon as the connection is reset. But the moment there is a lull in actual data being transmitted it disconnects.

For instance, when searching google images as long as I keep scrolling down the search page and it loads more images I have a connection. But if I dawdle too long looking for the right graphic I lose the connection again. it's all soo weird.

The only crazy issue I have had was a few weeks ago when I went into the media loft the PC wouldn't boot up. It launched into a system restore screen with no way of bypassing to boot normally. I can't recall ever having problems before having boot issue. So I wonder if the forced restore to a previous point in time conflicted somewhere? I have no way of knowing. Also, since this is at church and I am at home, it makes troubleshooting a bit more...challenging.

Thanks for your help here, you guys have saved my back end a couple times before.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MikeySW

MikeySW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

Update: I got to church this morning and after some pulling of hairs and restoring to a previous date it occurred to me that maybe I should roll back the adapter on the wifi dongle. That never occurred to me before, I guess I assumed it had a wifi card rather than an adapter. Everything seems to be running fine now. So...I reckon this critter is resolved.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for reporting back, you solution may help others.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users