Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro installation problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 westmore34

westmore34

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

Hi  I recently decided to give my old desktop pc a new leash of life by buying a new-ish IDE HDD (40Gb), the computer was mothballed because of failure of original HDD. Anyhow, I still have my original XP Pro(sp3) disk so I hook everything up with replacement HDD start the install then everything is fine until it gets to asking me to press F8 to accept license agreement, does saving configuartion, starting Windows XP.....then, your computer is rebooting - which it does but the it starts off the installation process again from scratch? Its just a vicious loop and it don't make a difference when I change the boot sequence.

I've tried 3rd party DOS software and burnt iso files to disk, one program identified errors on the drive with no option to fix them but I did manage to erase the HDD completely it took 6 hours but made no difference. Do you think I should just dump the recycled HDD or is there a way or making it function properly? Also, at startup the S.M.A.R.T utility says the HDD is fine.

I hope you can give me some advice/help, thank you.

The machine is an old AMD Sempron 1200, with 512 MB

Michael - Liverpool, England

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

I would run a hard drive diagnostic on the hard drive, since ifs functional status is in doubt.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 March 2014 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users