Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with new computer is troubling me

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 djdante

djdante

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:35 AM

Hey guys, 

I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some insight for me here. 

I have a computer I have just built. It has 2xSSd drives 1 with osx mavericks, one with windows 8.1. It also has a 2TB hdd. (Hackintosh)

I got everything running fine initially. Dual booted no sweat. The 2TB hdd was formatted as exFAT so it could be shared. 

The problems started when I tried transferring all my old files form an external 2TB drive to the shared one. The first time I tried with osx, and it crashed on me after about 200GB. The next time I tried with Windows, and it made it to 300GB before the system crashed and the computer restarted. I've tried this a couple of times. once or twice, the drive had to be repaired to run again. 

I initially suspected the Hard drive was somehow at fault, but did a full drive scan with Western Digital's utility I got online (the drive is WD). And after the 4 hour scan, it came up as clean. SMART is all good of course. And no bad hard drive noises. 

I'm currently doing a ram scan, but I'm not suspecting any magic to come of it there. 

All parts are new. The 850 watt power supply should be sufficient. (It's powering the above hard drives, a gtx 770 graphics card, a 4770k cpu, and an h80i water cooler. So that's overkill so far as I can see. I haven't over-clocked any part of the computer yet. 

What would be my next step in trouble shooting this bad boy? I'm scratching my head trying to work this out.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something else of potential importance. 

The drive I am copying FROM is formatted osx extended. I had to use macdrive for the file transfer. 

However I still had a system crash when copying from the osx extended external drive to the internal drive formatted in both exFAT and osx extended, I tried both formats. So I don't think it's a formatting incompatibility issue.

Edited by djdante, 30 March 2014 - 06:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Please post full system specs.   Have you checked what data did get transferred to see if it did in fact go through and is readable?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

What do you mean by "shut down". Was there a BSOD? Any dumps to post? Or did it just shut down, and restart?

mYIGVc5.png

#4 djdante

djdante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Sorry, full system specs are: 

GIGABYTE Z87X-UD5H motherboard

Intel 4770k cpu

H80iCooler

Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB graphics

Corsair 2x8gb ram 

2 x Samsung 128gb SSD

1 x Western Digital Black Caviar 7200rp Hdd 2Tb

PSU is Corsair RM850 850watt

As for the crash, there is no windows BSOD, just a restart. Same on OSX. 

UPDATE: I have removed all partitions, and started by plugging in ONLY one ssd, and installing windows fresh. It managed a 700gb file transfer no crashing. Using Macdisk from an osx extended file system to the exFAT formatted internal drive. 

THEN I installed a fresh osx, and formatted the internal drive to osx extended. So copying from osx extended external drive to osx extended internal drive crashed after 5GB. By crash I mean the system completely froze up, no restarting, now black screen, just a complete freeze. 

Currently I'm wondering if it's a corrput file or similar on the source external drive. So I'm using osx disk utility to do a clone from the external drive to the internal drive (both 2TB) to see if that also causes a crash or not. Although I can't see why a corrupt file would crash osx in a transfer. 

Edited by djdante, 30 March 2014 - 07:28 PM.

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

Sorry, full system specs are: 

GIGABYTE Z87X-UD5H motherboard

Intel 4770k cpu

H80iCooler

Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB graphics

Corsair 2x8gb ram 

2 x Samsung 128gb SSD

1 x Western Digital Black Caviar 7200rp Hdd 2Tb

PSU is Corsair RM850 850watt

As for the crash, there is no windows BSOD, just a restart. Same on OSX. 

UPDATE: I have removed all partitions, and started by plugging in ONLY one ssd, and installing windows fresh. It managed a 700gb file transfer no crashing. Using Macdisk from an osx extended file system to the exFAT formatted internal drive. 

THEN I installed a fresh osx, and formatted the internal drive to osx extended. So copying from osx extended external drive to osx extended internal drive crashed after 5GB. By crash I mean the system completely froze up, no restarting, now black screen, just a complete freeze. 

Currently I'm wondering if it's a corrput file or similar on the source external drive. So I'm using osx disk utility to do a clone from the external drive to the internal drive (both 2TB) to see if that also causes a crash or not. Although I can't see why a corrupt file would crash osx in a transfer. 

Corrupted file has nothing to do with the transfer. It would just copy the corrupt file over, this is very weird.

It shouldn't be a hardware failure, and I don't see how a large transfer could be affected by the OS. Hmm...

mYIGVc5.png

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

Can you try putting one of the drives on a different SATA channel?

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 djdante

djdante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

Jonuk, yes, that's not a bad idea... Although could be invalidated by further things I've tried. 

UPDATE: 

I tried a drive clone in OSX using disk utility rather than a file copy to try a bit by bit copy, but it still crashed within about 20 minutes. 

I wanted to see if there was a problem simply with large file transfer, or maybe a  problem with the motherboard and it's USB interface. 

So I did two tests in OSX. 1) I tried copying all 40gb from the osx SSD to the internal hdd, and it went perfectly. 2) I plugged in a full 64gb usb stick, and it transferred perfectly as well. 

That seems to thicken the plot somewhat. I'm very confused by this point. Any chance it's as simple as the external drive being buggy somehow? Unless it's something to do with osx having a driver issue with USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0 (the external drive is usb2 and the thumb drive was USB 3)

I'm now cloning the external drive onto the internal one overnight in Windows. It has been going for 5 hours so far about 25% done, and no errors. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users