Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why would i be getting a "force dismount" message?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:06 AM

hi computers,

Why would i be getting a "force dismount" message?

its saying that "because its in use by another program"
but how could it be in use by another process? -- no other processes are running!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:10 AM

Where you got this message?

Please aware that the process can running without window, and windows and explorer are also consider a process.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

hi Sirawit, thanks for the reply.

"Please aware that the process can running without window, and windows and explorer are also consider a process."
okay, thanks.

so what does it mean by dismount?

i have heard of this term before, but it was only in linux, i think.
the only other time that i have heard of this computer "terminology" was for a virtual drive.

it was for the dos command chkdsk.
i don't understand why it would be saying this PARTICULAR word for this type of operation :step1:
it means that it has to "dismount" the windows os inorder to use this command?

that doesn't make sense...

CYBER SECURITY GUARD :guitar:

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:02 AM

CHKDSK needs to have the disk entirely to itself, so that it can analyse the directory structures and file allocation information (and repair them if need be). It wouldn't work if it was trying to repair a moving target, and Windows wouldn't work if some other pesky process (chkdsk) was moving bits of files around on disk that Windows was using (and had directory info cached in memory etc).

Windows mounds and dismounts data volumes the same as any other operating system. On a system with only C: this happens early in the boot sequence and the C: remains mounted until very close to final shutdown. Things like the registry and swapfile are open all of the time. Other drives might be mounted and dismounted whilst the system is running. - Think USB stick - they get mounted on insertion and it is good practice to dismount them before removal - Windows dumbs the term down and calls it "Safely Remove" in the UI (rather than dismount)

Finally on a Windows system - Many processes are running all of the time... Anything that has a file open or a handle to a folder will lock the volume against dismount. The C: is always locked, as Windows is always running... Even having an explorer window open to a volume can sop dismount of a volume. Additionally badly written software might not properly close files that have been used and make Windows think the volume is still in use. So a lot of thinks might block a volume form dismount.

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users