Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black monitor after selecting Extended Display

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ViperApples

ViperApples

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Hello,

A few days ago I was trying to get my tv to act as a monitor so that I could watch movies on it through my win7 PC. It kept showing up as a black screen with the cursor on it, or weird bits of my desktop, so as I was trying to get it to work I played around with my display settings and set extended display mode on.

Now, if I boot into windows regularly, it is just a black screen, and if I connect the TV and the monitor, the TV is a black screen and the monitor goes into sleep mode (no input). My display works fine in safe mode, and I have tried changing the safe mode resolution (which doesn't carry over) and using regedit to change the x/y resolution values for normal mode, but that did nothing. The most quirky thing is that if I try to boot into VGA mode my monitor also goes into sleep mode. If I use msconfig and choose to boot at base video, my safe mode resolution is appropriately 640x480, but if I try to boot normally, it is the same as if I used VGA mode (no input), I also cannot do a system restore (no save points).

I have an AMD Radeon HD 5670 graphics card and would greatly appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

Boot into normal mode.

Press Win+P, then press the left arrow key 2-3 times until Computer Only is selected and press Enter.

#3 ViperApples

ViperApples
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

If Win+P does nothing in safe mode, is that expected? Hard to tell if I am doing it right in normal mode when I cant see the screen

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:17 AM

I suspect that you have somehow set the display resolution to something the monitor does not support.

Boot into safe mode and completely uninstall the video card drivers.  Then boot normally.  Do you get a signal with the standard Windows driver?

If yes, then reinstall the video drivers in normal mode.

#5 ViperApples

ViperApples
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

Thanks! That fixed it. I'd been having this issue for almost a full week, knew it had to be something simple but couldn't figure it out myself.

#6 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users