Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running WinXP extremely slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xcr0okedx

xcr0okedx

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

I have a PC that is fairly old but still works. However, recently it has been running very slowly and having a hard time doing basic things like watching Youtube videos. I would have to let the video load and even then it would sometimes be choppy. Another issue is that it sometimes lags when opening menus (start menu; right click, etc.) and takes forever to open some programs like MS Word, Photoshop.

My question is would it be worth it to upgrade the RAM or should I just get a new PC all together?

I have done all types of scans from virus/malware to cleaning using CCleaner. I have defraged. Nothing seems to really work. Thanks in advance.

Here are the system specs:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer    Gateway

System Model    E-4000

System Type    X86-based PC

Processor    x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2400 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date    Intel Corp. RG84510A.15A.0021.P11.0210160839, 10/16/2002

SMBIOS Version    2.3

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

Total Physical Memory    768.00 MB

Available Physical Memory    120.82 MB

Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory    1.96 GB

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:06 AM

It should run Linux Mint 13 "Mate" fine & it'll be faster than XP & is supported until sometime in 2017. Keeping in mind that support for XP is over come April 8, you need to make a decision, to protect yourself. Linux Mint 13 is a full fledged OS & has Libre Office included, all for free. Just make sure that you download Mint 13 & nothing newer,

Can you upgrade the RAM any? That would boost performance a bit, but it's not mandatory,

However, if you plan to continue to run Windows, it's time for a new computer, as neither Windows 7 nor 8 will run on it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but someone had to be.

Best of Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users