Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for a new laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tmgreene364

tmgreene364

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Going back to college and our main household computer bit the dust, so I need to get a laptop that can do double duty.   Looking for something with a fast processor and plenty of memory.  I have no clue what I'll be getting into with my classes (it's been close to 20 years since I was in college!), but household uses include bill pay, light correspondence, Genealogy (have lots of photos and records I scan and save on an external hd, but the program will be on the laptop), internet surfing, attempts at writing, email, and if possible, handle WoW.

Generally, I don't keep multiple programs opened at once as I've never had a computer that could handle it.

Since I'll be paying tuition and buying books, the less expensive the better, but hubby and I are prepared to spend 750 - 1,000. 

I've found a few I like, but before I spend any money, figured it would be good to see what "you all" had to say on the computers out there.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

You will probably not need a "fast" computer by today's standards, as you are not gaming or running high usage applications. (media production etc.)

A laptop with an i3 core and 4gb of RAM will suffice for your needs if using Win7, I'm not sure about Win 8 requirements but I imagine they are fairly similar. If the price difference is minimal you may consider moving to an i5 and 8gb of RAM, but you probably don't need it.

Reliable brands at the current market include HP and Lenovo. Dell are in a particularly bad phase at the moment.

Hope this helps a little. I'm sure there are others here who can offer other insight that adds to this. :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users