Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Internet Dropping issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tybudd

Tybudd

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hello all, hopefully this is an annoying issue that you guys can help me out with.

What issues I've seen to be affected:

Gaming on World of Warcraft

Ventrilo connection

Info about my setup:

I get internet through 1 router, hardwired into 2 computers.

At first I thought it was my router just losing connection but recently I've been playing both computers at the same time (son using other), as we are grouped doing the same content and both using Ventrilo to communicate with each other. But while gaming, all of a sudden computer 1 will get disconnected from Wow, and Ventrilo at the same time and no ill effects at all to computer 2. This brings me to the assumption that it isn't my router.

My question to the experienced members of BC is, what else could it be that I can look into, what does this show to be symptoms of?

Thanks in advance, please help at your earliest convenience because the level of annoyance is at a boiling point! :devil:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

Does the same one get disconnected or does it switch? Do you get any warning? Does the computer shut down? or restart?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Does the same one get disconnected or does it switch? Do you get any warning? Does the computer shut down? or restart?

Its always the same computer, no warning computer doesn't shutdown or rrestart.

With wow, it just shows that you've been disconnected and it goes to the log in screen, and with Ventrilo, it logs you out, and has a cooldown as to how long before it can attempt to log back in, like 10 seconds.

#4 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

Any other thoughts on what that could be?

#5 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

Update, just had a time where both of them were kicked off

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

And you don't lose internet connection? just those programs disconnect? don't have to do anything to reconnect to either? like reboot or restart router? wireless or wired?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:34 AM

Wired connection, and no, it seems like its just a split second disconnect

so on a website I wouldn't notice it, if the page is already full loaded

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

I know Vent is very finicky with connection, any slight loss will boot ya off. WoW is normally a little more forgiving.

The problem is it could be so many things and there's a few things you can do to try to fix it:

I want you to unplug your modem and router. leave them both (or it if they are the same box) unplugged for a real 5 mins. Then plug in the modem, letting the lights settle before plugging in the router. During the 5 mins do what I ask below on both PCs, 

Do these from an elevated command prompt - right click the CMD shortcut and Run as admin

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Wait till you start powering the modem back on and reboot both PCs you should be powering on the router by the time they come back up.

If it still does it, you could reset the router by taking a pen and pressing the recessed button either by the power plug or on the bottom of the router. You'll have to do the setup again but not too difficult.

If it still does it, I'd bypass the router for a test and plug right into the modem. See if it still does it. If yes I'd call your ISP and ask them to run some tests...be on WoW when you do so if it drops they'll see it.

#9 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

Awesome, going get on this right now, the router and modem are 1 in the same btw.

Will be back with results

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users