Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Poor connection, patchy functionality.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryanhurst1

ryanhurst1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hey, thanks for reading.

I noticed a week or so ago that the connection quality of my Wifi was consistently lower than normal, and the speed was down to 10-20% of normal. Nothing had changed with hardware or location of the PC or router. After a bit of messing around, I went with a new network adaptor (USB). This improved the quality of the connection, which is now always "Excellent", never drops out.

However, there have been other issues since fitting the new adaptor. Websites don't load fully, videos don't always load or playback is suddenly halted, pictures are half-loaded and so on - kinda like you'd expect packet loss to look maybe? The speed has improved to it's usual state (~19mpbs down, ~1mbps up).

Re insterting the old adaptor doesn't change these half-loading problems. I borrowed a friend's Netgear adaptor and that also didn't help.

I'm running a self build from 2009ish, running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, sat around 20 feet from my router, which is the UK Sky Hub SR101.

I may be an idiot that's missing something obvious, who knows. Any help greatly appreciated.

MiniToolbox log is attached.

Attached Files

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 March 2014 - 10:04 AM.
edited to add reference to MiniToolbox log

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:10 AM

Power cycle the router.

#3 ryanhurst1

ryanhurst1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Tried, several times. Also replaced microfilters, ethernet cable, messed about with drivers, browsers, proxies and devices.

All other devices (2 android phones, 2.3 and 4.4, a windows phone, a windows 8/ubuntu laptop and a Nexus 7) are fine, fast and no issues.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:55 AM

Some things to try...

If you get a pc that is the only one not loading websites it could be malware/viruses. Run malwarebytes and do a eset online virus scan.

Again it could be a bad nic or wire from there to the router/switch. If it's wired it could be a bad port on the router itself. Swap it with another see if the other machine does same.

All pc's not getting websites loading, generally router issues, ISP's DNS issues. You could check and try a different DNS in the router using Googles public DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or..... set these DNS ip's in the troubled pc's settings instead of globally in the router.

Sometimes you gotta just blow away the nic settings and start fresh.

Run cmd.exe as administrator and run the commands...

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

netsh winsock reset

Reboot the pc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users