Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will only load in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 malwarewritersbegone

malwarewritersbegone

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Not sure if all the issues that have gone on are related or not, but I am going to provide the recent history of my computer.

Lenovo Desktop

XP

SATA HDDs (qty 2)

Integrated video card

Pretty sure at 1 GB ram

Around 6 mos ago, I would occasionally get this screen lock up, kind of a pattern of small rectangles that appeared to to color-schemed based on what was on the display at the time it happened. I had tried seeing if it would revive itself, but never would, so when it happened, I would long-press power button to shut down and then restart; it would usually start up normally and off I would go. This would happen apparently randomly, in both duration of session as well as in terms of what was being done on computer, as far as I could tell. Read up, even came across a site that had an image posted that looked pretty like it. That site gave different possibilities, first one I tried was a 2nd HDD since I really needed anyway (had less than 7% free) AND I wanted to get files on a new drive in case it was the HDD and it was going. Anyway, did that, almost seemed to have a little positve effect, but not really sure. Then later, couple months later, power supply went. Replaced it, that was one of the possible suggestions I had come across too, so checked that off the list, but it would still have this lock up every once in a while. The suggestion I really liked was video card, but did not want to do that just yet with the cost, not too much, but could end up putting amount of a new computer in before I new it. The 2nd HDD could be transferred, so that was not a money issue.

After I had put the new 2nd HDD in and defragged orig HDD (now at about 50% free) and felt everything was in good order (no expert) I expected a decent performance boost as it had gotten pretty slow. But it really did not have one, maybe a little, but nothing like expected. So, I tested the HDD using the mfg utility, it said it was good. I also testing the ram using MEMTEST, said was good (I think 2 passes). Vid card still unverified.

Now, it will not even start at all in regular windows mode, but it will in Safe Mode. One thing I noticed while starting in Safe Mode with command was a hang up after, I think it was classpnp.sys. But eventually, within a minute or so, maybe less, would move on and start in Safe Mode.

So, not sure if there is a hardware issue, or possibly malware, so that is my question.

Thank you very much for reading and any input is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Original issue: Random lockups with small rectangular rectangles

Pressing the power button to shut down & restart worked for a while for the computer to run ok

Now the computer boots only into safe mode

You tried a 2nd HDD

The 1st hard drive had less than 7%free

--- You defragged the 1st hard drive to about 50% free

--- You tested the HDD using the mfg utility and the report turned out to be good

A few months later you replaced the power supply

The random lockups still continued

You considered a video card but haven't done so

--- Are you presently using a video card or are you using the on-board VGA?

You ran MEMTEST and that report turned out to be good

--- Do you know whether or not you do have 1GB RAM as you mentioned?

--- I have seen many XP's with only 512MB RAM in which as time goes on results in performance issue

--- In fact I like to see at least 2GB RAM not because 2GB RAM shouldn't be ok, but depending on how the computer is used makes a difference.

Now you'd like to know whether or not there is a hardware or malware issue

Can you start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking?

--- If so run your anti-virus & anti-spyware programs

------ Please let us know what those programs are

I would consider Malwarebytes 2.0 Free

--- It also checks for rootkits

Since XP is due for EOL on Apr 8, I would consider purchasing Malwarebytes Pro 2.0 if/when you get another computer

On the hardware, that still remains to be seen but find out first whether or not there are any malware issues

--- But you could go into Device Manager and see whether or not there are Yellow or Red flags for any hardware

#3 malwarewritersbegone

malwarewritersbegone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

Ran Malwarebytes free 2.0, found some pup.... potential threats, has done that before and they seem relatively harmless based on their relationships, but I remove them anyway, did that this time as well.

Ran my McAfee after that (this is my AV), found nothing.

Checked for yellow or red flags for any hardware but did not see any (believe I did this in Safe Mode).

Windows would start but eventually had the locked up screen with the rectangles again. I will be honest, I might have made a mistake with my original psot but am not sure now either. I am pretty sure we have been at the point where at some point the computer would just freeze at start up and not go further, I think at a blank screen,

AND, the file it hesitates after when startin gin Safe Mode is MUP.sys (but would get past within a minute or less), NOT classpnp, that was a different issue. Apologies, I am really not a screwball, just a lot going on right now.

Can motherboard or other hardware (vid card/adapter) cause this? or is that most likely a dea end?

Also, I did not replace the 1st HDD, just added one and moved all my data to it. The programs and all that are still on the 1st HDD.

Also, yes, I have 1 GB ram confirmed.

And, this is a Lenovo, with service partition or whatever it is called, i.e. if I were to reformat/reload, I do not have disk, would do it using recovery partition. Have done this once a file back when had a root kit per the recommendation of this site.

Thank you again.

Edited by malwarewritersbegone, 31 March 2014 - 10:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users