Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer reboots when coming out of sleep, likely only as it's going into sleep.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ThrowingChicken

ThrowingChicken

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601
Mobo:  Gigabyte M68MT-S2P
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor, 3300 Mhz, 6 Cores

I guess it is best to just explain the experience I am having.  In January I purchased my first SSD drive, promptly installed Windows on it to use as my boot drive.  I was very pleased with how quickly the system would come out of sleep, so I've become accustomed to letting my computer go to sleep when previously I had disabled this feature.  On the 13th I got a new tower and transferred everything into there.  On the 20th I ran into a little anomaly with the sleep function, where I went to wake the system and the mouse light went from on to off and the system booted up to the POST screen. From the POST screen I noticed that the SSD was missing from the detected devices, so of course the system failed to boot.  I hit the reset button and the same thing happened.  I held down the power button to turn the PC off, then immediately turned it back on and it was back to being detected.  I guess that since it was missing during that first boot, the BIOS automatically set another drive as the boot drive since I had to go into the BIOS settings and correct the boot order.

Once this issue was fixed, I get to the Windows 7 boot screen and it freezes.  Reset again, get past POST, then Windows asks me if I want to resume my previous session or delete the resume and do a fresh boot.  Resume freezes, new boot works fine.  

So I'm back into Windows, everything seems fine.  Some time later I changed my power settings so that the computer went to sleep after 15 minutes instead of an hour.  Since this change the crashes from sleep happen more frequently.  Though I am not 100% sure on this, I think it is because I am more likely to come back to my computer after 15 minutes than I am after an hour, and I think the crashes are happening because I've tried to wake the system as it's trying to go to sleep.  Step out for a break, come back in 15 minutes and crash.  Go out for two hours, come back and it wakes fine.  I think every now and then I, by chance, catch the system just as it is trying to sleep, and there is some problem here that causes it to not handle this well, but I don't know how to fix it.  

All in all I believe this has happened maybe 3-4 times in the past 9 days. 

I've checked Event Viewer, not a lot of info but this is what it says:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        EventLog
    Date:          3/28/2014 3:53:07 PM
    Event ID:      6008
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      CHASE-DESKTOP
    Description:
    The previous system shutdown at 3:43:09 PM on ‎3/‎28/‎2014 was unexpected.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="EventLog" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-03-28T20:53:07.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>15709</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>CHASE-DESKTOP</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>3:43:09 PM</Data>
        <Data>‎3/‎28/‎2014</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>9978</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Binary>DE07030005001C000F002B0009000302DE07030005001C0014002B00090003023C0000003C000000000000000000000000000000000000000100000051280000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

And...

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date:          3/28/2014 3:51:53 PM
    Event ID:      41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level:         Critical
    Keywords:      (2)
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      CHASE-DESKTOP
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
        <EventID>41</EventID>
        <Version>2</Version>
        <Level>1</Level>
        <Task>63</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-03-28T20:51:53.387600000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>15713</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>CHASE-DESKTOP</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
        <Data Name="SleepInProgress">true</Data>
        <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

So that is where I am at with it.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

SSD and sleep sometimes doesn't mix to well. There might be a fix from the vendor. A good read here on your same issue to give you an idea why. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/06/ask-ars-do-solid-state-drives-cause-problems-with-sleep-mode/

SSD's boot so fast in my opinion it's kind of pointless to have sleep or hibernation. I would be sure to turn off all that garbage...sleep, hibernation, defrag, HD indexing, HD paging, Windows Search service etc. Hibernation alone uses like 10g's of hd space. Windows places a hidden file called hiberfil.sys on C: To turn it off go to cmd.exe run as admin and type powercfg -h off. Hiberfil.sys will vanish from the drive and you will regain hd space. HD paging, again take control of that and turn it off completely or limit it's useage to like 400-2048 depending on how much memory the system has. Hope that helps you out.

#3 ThrowingChicken

ThrowingChicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Oh no, that is unfortunate to hear.  I have the Intel 530 SSD; They didn't mention Intel as a problem drive in the article but is it possible they suffer from the same issue?  I'm also not getting a blue screen, as far as I can tell anyway.  It looks like it is coming out of sleep but instead of going back to Windows I get the POST screen. 

Perhaps this is another issue, but I decided to go onto the Intel website to see if there were any updates.  I ran their automatic update wizard and I got my first blue screen. 

vH2z6Ae.png

It wasn't a fluke, very repeatable. 

About to reboot to run the SSD firmware update wizard. 

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

I have the SandForce after doing a ton of reading I have both sleep and hibernation turned off, with full boot time of 27 seconds neither seemed necessary.  I run 16g ram another thing I found to help drive wear is not to run a swap file, I have had it shut off for about three weeks with -0- issues.  In theory a well setup SSD will outlast a spinner by a long shot.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 ThrowingChicken

ThrowingChicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

I did the SSD update.  So far no issues but we shall see. 

What's to be made of the SSD not showing up on the POST screen after the crash? 

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:25 AM

Could be a low bios battery. Be sure to check your time and set it correctly.

Also, try going to start and type in cmd.exe, right-click cmd.exe and run as administrator. Type chkdsk /r hit enter.

Going to that website and getting a bsod you probably got ancient drivers. I suggest a Microsoft updates, Check version of your browser and download the latest one. If you are using IE or whatever be sure to get 64bit versions waaaaay faster. Update drivers for all your hardware.

Do a malwarevbytes and virus scan too. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ Do a online scan...http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Edited by technonymous, 02 April 2014 - 02:33 AM.

#7 ThrowingChicken

ThrowingChicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Chkdsk reported no problems.  Windows is fully updated, so it says.  Eset and MalwareBytes found a couple of things but nothing major.  I'll have to double check the time thing, how long do batteries usually last on these things? 

I haven't had any crashes since I made this thread, but with the rarity I can't say for sure if it was fixed with the SSD FW update or not.  I guess it is wait and see at this point. 

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

Chkdsk reported no problems.  Windows is fully updated, so it says.  Eset and MalwareBytes found a couple of things but nothing major.  I'll have to double check the time thing, how long do batteries usually last on these things? 

I haven't had any crashes since I made this thread, but with the rarity I can't say for sure if it was fixed with the SSD FW update or not.  I guess it is wait and see at this point. 

Ok we let is know if you do. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users