Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Reliable Computer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 efceau

efceau

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

Hello all!

I am considering building a new computer. 

I have done some research on processors, motherboards, ram, and power supplies.

Intel i7 extreme and AMD FX-8350 i know there's a lot of differences but I am looking for reliability and performance so i need some help from the PRO's 
Which processor would be best suited?

As far as motherboards go im looking at the
MSI ATX Z87 for intel and the Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

For ram I've choosen the Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4) GB sticks
i have heard Corsair Vengeance ram is decent but is it reliable?

Power Supplies: Kentek 680watt.

Please let me know what you guys think. 

And also http://cyberdigitals.com/ Its amazon BUT it shows the hardware side by side where you can compare them.

So let me know what you guys think!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:44 AM

Intel, all the way for performance and reliability. AMDs are known to produce a hell load of heat, and are much less reliable. If you have the money, go for Intel, as it seems to be you do have the bulk cash monies.

I would go for a better PSU, such as Corsair, Cooler Master or Antec. Corsair RAM is fine, I have a set of my own.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

If you have the Jingle consider Alienware now owned by Dell, Dell has always provided top shelf components plus great support.  You can get a system in just about any flavor!

http://www.alienware.com/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

LOL OP, do not listen to the guy above. Alienware is the most pure bleep you will ever purchase. Over-priced, and has a high faulty rate.

I  have multiple friends who were all sold by its looks, to find out it's pure bleep.

mYIGVc5.png

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

Take the time to read reviews also the fact that Dell has one of the highest and best warranties, extendable to four years.  Their failure rate is no better or worse than any other but they do in most cases represent a better value.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249382/alienware_x51_review_the_little_pc_that_could.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/dell-alienware-x51-review/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/488294-general-reliability-alienware.html

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/dell-brand-rating-2012.aspx

http://www.legitreviews.com/alienware-x51-r2-review_125229

http://compreviews.about.com/od/sff/fl/alienware-x51-2013.htm

Last but not least Alienware owners forum not related to Dell!  It tells the good and the bad from actual owners!

http://www.alienowners.com/forum.php

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Take the time to read reviews also the fact that Dell has one of the highest and best warranties, extendable to four years.  Their failure rate is no better or worse than any other but they do in most cases represent a better value.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249382/alienware_x51_review_the_little_pc_that_could.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/desktop-computer-reviews/dell-alienware-x51-review/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/488294-general-reliability-alienware.html

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/dell-brand-rating-2012.aspx

http://www.legitreviews.com/alienware-x51-r2-review_125229

http://compreviews.about.com/od/sff/fl/alienware-x51-2013.htm

Last but not least Alienware owners forum not related to Dell!  It tells the good and the bad from actual owners!

http://www.alienowners.com/forum.php

Only idiots actually read those reviews. They're all up on the surface, and benchmarking tests, nothing to do with how long it will last. Take a look on youtube, and the unsatisfactory rate, as well as the "terrible" customer support. It has not changed between Dell or anywhere else.

It's also a waste of money. You're paying a couple hundred much for, for some pretty lights.

mYIGVc5.png

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Either you can't read or the subject is mute!

#8 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Either you can't read or the subject is mute!

I can't believe you actually believe everything you read on the internet. You must be blind to not know the notorious reputation that Alienware has.

Either way, it's a waste of money. No matter how much money you have, it's a waste of money. Custom all the way.

mYIGVc5.png

#9 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

Speaking as someone who has been suckered in by the alienware allure (and that was before dell bought out and promptly shat all over alienware...), don't be taken in by the...(not sure what adjective to use here)... efficacy of the alienware advertising machine. Inside that alien head-bedecked exterior beats the heart and guts of a regular old (IMHO, kinda crappy) Dell computer. If you ignore the price mark-up and the allure of a slick ad campaign, every alienware I've ever dealt with (and I've owned 3 or 4 over the years, desktop and laptop, as well as dealt with a few owned by individuals who, when the machine developed issues that Dell tech support pronounced in serious need of either complete hardware or software overhaul requiring more than what they could fix over either phone or remotely, brought them in to get a second opinion from the repair place where i spent six months or so), suffered from cut corners, dumb manufacturing errors, cheap innards, hardware incompatibility, and all the stuff that people with the need for (and are willing to spend the extra cash for) a serious, quasi-custom gaming machine assume that buying a well-known brand like alienware will prevent them from having to deal with.

But, of course, I'm speaking - mostly - from my own experience. I haven't owned an alienware in quite some time now... maybe things are totally different now, and everything I've mentioned as a potential liability associated with that brand has long ago been dealt with and eradicated. I won't deny that my dislike for Dell is not totally rational, and that since I gave up on alienware/dell, I haven't really followed their progress or reputation as a company. I guess I'll limit my advice to this: do your homework; these machines are way too expensive to jump in blindly...

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#10 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

Wow - a lot of bad advice.

First: Between AMD and Intel, you will NOT see a difference in reliability regarding the CPU and Chipsets alone. I think it odd that you ask for differences in reliability, and then mention MSI motherboards. MSI is known for middle of the road boards. Go with Asus, EVGA, or higher end Gigabyte motherboards for rock solid stability. I prefer EVGA myself. Don't bother with Extreme editiion CPU's. Get the 'K' series just below it, and overclock as needed.

As for ram, go with GSkill, Crucial, or Corsair. ALL THREE are going to be reliable. Pick the cheapest set with the timings, and clock rate you are looking for.

For a power supply - DO NOT cheap out on the power supply. Go with Corsair TX/AX/HX series, Seasonic, Antec HCP/HCG series, or PC Power and Cooling Silencer series. Those are quality units with stable power.

As for the Alienware debate. This is easy to settle. Years ago, Alienware was considerably overpriced. They make premium machines and sell them at a premium price. You won't find them skimping on the power, or the motherboards, hard drives, etc. Lately, their prices have fallen more inline with their premium GAMING competitors. Expect them to charge more than ibuypower, but expect a better product with better service. I avoided Alienware for MANY years due to the "overpriced" mentality. Then I met several people who spoke highly of them, and decided to try one for myself. I quickly found out their prices are justified with well designed gaming machines that easily handle what is asked of them.You will find many polarized opinions of their machines. Understand that EVERY manufacturer has a certain failure rate. Anecdotal evidence doesn't count for much. So don't take it for much. However, the things that do count, are the places where a company does or does not skimp out. Like a terrific metal chassis, and aluminum body, a quality IPS display, and top tier hard drives (the AW 14 shipped with a WD Black edition drive!). These things speak of a company trying to do their best to release a quality product. I found the same with Lenovo: Top quality Chasis, with wide color display, and top tier hard drives.

Would I recommend an Alienware desktop? NO. I will still hold to the statement that you can build a higher quality machine at a lower price on your own. Would I recommend an Alienware laptop? MAYBE. It depends on what you need it for. For gaming? YES. For general use, or business use, NO. Get a Lenovo for those.

In short, build this machine, but do it right. Intel still has the faster high end, and I would suggest it.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#11 beeper54

beeper54

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:29 AM

Like Ezzah originally said, build your own high-end Intel, low power consumption and great performance/stability. I haven't hear of that make of PSU though, so I can't really comment on that.

Asus motherboards are great!

Edited by beeper54, 08 April 2014 - 02:30 AM.

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

With few exceptions the advice is Intel for power, AMD for price.

I've never heard of Kentek either.  I've used Cooler Master power supply units (PSU) for my last few builds.

Provided you stick with brand name parts you should be fine, once the machine makes it past the first 90 days.  90 days is when most electronics will fail if they are going to fail.  There is no brand out there that will give you a 100 percent guarantee that their parts will work for you and not fail.

#13 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:38 AM

Debating whether buying Alienware is a dumb move or not is, in itself, dumb. Actually, going to a public forum to ask total strangers with unknown skill-levels, etc. which kind of computer you should spend a crap load on could also fall under a broad definition of dumb. It's not that forums like these are useless as an info source when you're trying to figure out how to spend your cash, it's just that there are other resources out there (even elsewhere on this site) that are a little less personal opinion, and a little more substantiated fact. 

Personally, I think Alienware is a good choice for status-seeking, bedroom-bound pubescent males with a thing for LEDs. But, it's definitely true that they are popular and, as that particular genre of computer goes, they are better than the fly-by-night creepy "custom" PC online stores that don't even bother with making working websites with which to sell their ghetto gamers (sorry: gamerZ) to kids tricked by lots of colors and lightning bolt clip-art. There's a lot wrong with Alienware, but at least no one is going to try to make the argument that they are not a legit PC company. 

Point is: when you do your research, hit as many different sources as you can so you can make the most informed decision possible. Other people can only tell you about their own experiences/opinions (which, while often helpful, shouldn't be your only educational asset), but - in the end  - you need to use your own brain. My bad for giving you mostly opinion when I first responded; all I really wanted to impart was that I've had multiple negative experiences with Alienware, so you might want to get as much information about them before clicking the purchase button. I shouldn't have launched into an anti-Alienware speech. Sorry bout that. 

Whatever you decide to get, I hope it is exactly what you wanted to get and that you have zero regrets. 

And - beeper54 is right on - ASUS motherboards kick ass.   (And, again, sorry for all the un-needed Alienware stuff. As a self-imposed personal punishment, I will go check out their current website, read a few articles, and force myself to re-examine my own distaste for that brand...)

Good luck.

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#14 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,062 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

rightfully so, if a user is going to be laying down significant bucks for a bundle PC deal, alot of homework is in order. i remember back when the cyberpower pc specs looked so good on the surface, but then after further research, maybe not. PC mainbgear is another one i read about here at BC, but i didn't really read further about them. alienware is one of those entities that appeal to a subset group that likes unique custom cases and circus lights. maybe years ago the alienware bundles were a sweet deal, but time passes and then dell enters the arena and it may be only a crapshoot what happened after that.

WalMart offers spec-it-yourself IbuyPower  PC bundle OEM packagesas well as refurb units. the difference is  the service & support offered AFTER the deal goes down. Newegg also lines up PC bundles for purchase, and the service AFTER the sale is all the rave with newegg.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#15 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

"I think Alienware is a good choice for status-seeking, bedroom-bound pubescent males with a thing for LEDs."

That mentality shows more about the person making it than people who own the products. Most of the people I know who own Alienware products are in their mid 20's and early 30's. People who work for a living, and can afford a nice machine. People who wanted a quality product, not just fast n' flimsy.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users