Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will an external drive backup restore a computer fine?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 matttexas17

matttexas17

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:07 AM

So we are going to be hypothetical here. 

1. I backup my entire system onto a 200gb external hard drive

2. I COMPLETELY erase windows from my computer, and all of it's data

3. I plug in the external hard drive. 

is it possible to re install windows at that point? Or would I need disc/usb flashdrive 

Thanks! 

ALSO: Is the "Systems image" with no other data enough to restart windows? Thanks! 

Edited by matttexas17, 29 March 2014 - 01:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

Creating an image backup of your entire hdd is a wise thing to do. Some time in the future your hdd will become unusable. Sometime in the future

your OS will become unusable. How often you create an image backup of your hdd or just your personal/ business files is dependent on how important your files are.

Another option.....You can clone your hdd to another hdd of the same size or larger.

Read the info in the links below and if you still have questions, please ask.

What happened to Backup and Restore? - Microsoft Windows Help

How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - Microsoft Windows Help

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users