Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Recovering from ICE is killing me. Need some guidance please.

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ImBubba


  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kissimmee, FL, USA
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

My computer's name is HORSE.  It is an HP dv7 laptop and the only Win 7 (64-bit) computer regularly on my home network which has a couple of desktops, another laptop, and two printers on it.  HORSE got ICEd a few days ago, and I posted a long shaggy-dog story about it on here before I knew to call the problem an ICE problem.


I recovered from the ICE problem by doing a recovery restart to a checkpoint from back in February.  Voila! No more ICE ... but now I have a bunch of connectivity problems that I have never had before.  I can not (could not) access the Internet from my go-to browser, IE10.  Since I had already downloaded IE11 from Windows Update I installed that thinking maybe the connectivity probelem was an IE10 problem.  IE11 can not access the Internet either.  Neither can a number of other programs such as Norton Internet Security Update, Malwarebytes Update, Mozilla Thunderbird (my e-mail program), and others.  I CAN access the Internet using Chrome.


Using Chrome I can download Malwarebytes, for example, but when it tries to update itself it cannot access the Internet to fetch its updates.  I can also access only one of my networked printers.  Both are accessible from all the other computers on my home network.


I ran Malwarebytes and it found and quarantined a bunch of files and registry keys associated with one particular PUP (a shop-at-home assistance program).  Using Chrome, I downloaded and then ran MiniToolBox.  It reset any proxies that might have redirected Internet access attempts (none existed) and it found a bunch of stuff that I don't understand but that I don't recognize as having anything to do with failing Internet access, I am rapidly getting in over my head (drowning in the results of this melted ICE LOL) and I COULD REALLY USE SOME GUIDANCE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users