Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dcom server process launcher service terminated unexpectedly and Plug and play

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 supafongboon

supafongboon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:23 AM

Hi everyone, 

I am having some extremely annoying issues. I'm new to forum posting about computer problems so bare with me if I do anything wrong. 

First off, this error occurs very frequently, about once every 1.5 hours. It happens when I'm either playing games or browsing the web. Sometimes I come back and it restarted on it's own. I've ran Adware to see if there were any problems and it came up saying everything was clean. 

I have tried defragging my hard drive and even did a error-checking overnight hoping that it would fix it. 

Checking my even manager, it is constantly getting "critical errors" for ID41 - Kernal Power. I have looked online for a fix to this and it seems people that get helped, don't really find a solution (from my searching). If anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2014 - 04:06 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

It sounds like you need a new power supply.

1. It isn't outputting enough watts for the system's demand.

2. It's failing at higher loads (gamming).

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Info On Error Message

Louis

#4 supafongboon

supafongboon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

I don't think it's my power supply. I have 2 monitors, a blackwidow keyboard, a logitech mouse, and an external internet card as my peripherals all running through a 700W power supply. 

@Technonymous - it also restarts when just idle 

@hamluis - I read the error, does that mean 700W is not enough?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

It just means that other persons have encountered seemingly similar problems...and I provided you with their comments about such.

Louis

#6 B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/

Bleepin' Freestyler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Check for patched rpcss.dll file. At the moment there is an infection which patches rpcss.dll and cause similar problems.

https://blog.avast.com/2014/01/15/win3264blackbeard-pigeon-stealthiness-techniques-in-64-bit-windows-part-1/

Regards,

Georgi

cXfZ4wS.png

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Moved topic to AII based on MRT member comment :).

Louis

#8 supafongboon

supafongboon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

I have tried to find a "patched rpcss.dll" file but honestly I don't know what is going on. I read that article and it went way over my head. What I did get out of it is that it might be a malware issue? But other sites are saying that it is OS issue. 

I also tried to update windows 7 but it won't update at all. Any ideas why? Is that why I am crashing? Because something is not updated? Is there a manual update for windows since when I click to update I get a red X saying that it couldn't connect and update? 

#9 B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/

Bleepin' Freestyler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hello,

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

• Make sure that all options are checked.
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Regards,

Georgi

cXfZ4wS.png

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

I don't think it's my power supply. I have 2 monitors, a blackwidow keyboard, a logitech mouse, and an external internet card as my peripherals all running through a 700W power supply. 

@Technonymous - it also restarts when just idle 

@hamluis - I read the error, does that mean 700W is not enough?

Why do you believe it to not be the power supply? Power supplies fail whenever they want to fail and it will be sporadic. I was just saying that it is more so when drawing a more higher load from the PSU in gamming etc. When you get this behavior and the system is saying ID 41 Kernel Power it IS power related. Nine times out of ten it's the PSU. However, it could be a power related issue involving the motherboard. I tend to lean more towards PSU as usually that's the cause. Your power supply being 700W is probably enough and is average for a 4 core cpu. I always recommend to go 50-100 watts higher to have a little headroom for expansion of installing more things such as another video card.

It pays to read up on reviews and benchmarks of the brands and models you decide to buy. Generally people flock to well known brands Corsair, OCZ etc because of their quality in craftsmanship. However, this means nothing as ALL brands will have their issues. Many brands will claim they are 700W, and in fact under tested reviews have failed to deliver anything over 500-600, or fail in some other test under full load. A good place to read up on this info is http://www.jonnyguru.com/ They literally bench test these PSU's and take them apart and show people (pictures) explain why they fail from a tech engineer's standpoint. Then they rate them.

It's good to have http://consumerreports.org. One...you deserve to get what you want and know the quality of it. Two...companies are forced to comply to quality, rules and regulations before they put a stamp of approval on something. Many companies steal and backwards engineer technology. A good example would be CyberHome that made DVD players and DVR's (recorders). They got caught for stealing Philips branded technology and literally even copied the etching and Philips patent numbers printed on the circuitry itself and then put their Cyberhome brand on the outside of the casing. Needless to say the FBI raided this plant in California and shut them down. Many people that bought these units was left out in the cold with a unit that was nothng more than a coaster maker. Hmm I wonder why.

Edited by technonymous, 29 March 2014 - 11:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users