Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer - is this a good value?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thoive

thoive

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hey folks,

So the time has come to get a new family computer... The computer will be used mostly for work, word processing and so on, and some moderate gaming (Sims 3, Flight Simulator, that sort of thing).

We've had terrible luck with prebuilds, especially HP, where as I've often read online, the hardware craps out right after the warranty is up. Meanwhile we have a computer we got custom built at a shop in 2001 still chugging along with Windows ME on it (good times...) so we decided to go that route. Got a quote today for one and I want to know if this is good value or not. Always been pretty knowledgeable about software but I'm pretty clueless about hardware other than a general idea of what's good. The quote is for $821.96 Canadian, tax included.

Specs:

Asus F2A55-M/CSM Socket FM2 Mother Board

AMD a8-5600K Quad Core 3.6 GHz APU Socket FM2 CPU

Kingston 8GB Hyper-X DDR3 RAM

Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB BLUE SATA3 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 64 MB Buffer Hard drive

LG SATA 24x DVD +/`- RW Dual Layer

Sapphire AMD Radeon R7 240 with Boost 2GB GDDR5 graphics card

Built in wireless

Comes with Windows 7 (yay) and Norton antivirus (yuck)

They fully build it, install software and include a 1-year warranty on all parts and labour

Thoughts? Seems pretty good from what I've seen (especially including the extra graphics card, prebuilds seem to get pushed into the $1000s to add that) but wanted to check before we go ahead and buy it.

Thanks!

Edited by thoive, 28 March 2014 - 08:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Vilhiem

Vilhiem

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

I was originally going to say no, that isn't that great a price for what you're getting.  Then it dawned on me, you're having this built for you as a custom; not a pre-built.

Personally, yes.  I would say that's good for that price.  I don't really like the AMD processors myself, but that's mostly because I don't feel they are quite as stable are the Intel processors are.  (Intel makes for a good workhorse, but AMD is graphics.)  Unless you're going to really go heavy for games or things that will tax the computer's limits I don't know that you'll have an issue with the stability.

If you feel like trying once more for a pre-built later on.  I've had great luck with Lenovo.  Their customer service has always been helpful (even after the warranty has expired) and I've had two laptops from them.  First one lasted around 7 years, the other one I got 5 years ago and I'm still using it.  Both were put through their paces quite well. 

http://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/

If you're able to make one yourself, take a look at this article below.  (Or, better yet, take the build you like and see what you can get as a quote then!)

http://lifehacker.com/5840963/the-best-pcs-you-can-build-for-600-and-1200 

Best of luck to you, and I think I speak for many here...  HP used to be a good brand, and then they went the way of the dodo.  :)

#3 thoive

thoive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

Thanks! My sister has a Lenovo laptop and it's served her well, I've heard Lenovo or Asus are the way to go with prebuilds these days.

I have heard that stability vs. graphics / Intel vs. AMD comment before, but as I said it's not going to used for anything crazy.

I work in television so I personally have a Mac now and I've sort of lost touch with what's good and what's not in terms of PC brands, so thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users