Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop HDD question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 izombie616

izombie616

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct area for this, but I had a laptop that died in 2010 and a friend was messing around with it and pulled parts out of it. I still have the HDD and I was thinking about trying to make it an external HDD with a USB case thing. The only thing I'm not sure about is when I googled images of the HD I have it doesn't look like the ones on there. Mine appears to have extra material on it and I'm not sure what it is or if its just broken. It has a piece of black film or something on the end. I tried to upload a pic of it but I'm not sure how to do that at the moment...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hi, if you could post the specs of the laptop it was taken out of that might help us track down what the hard drive is/looks like. 

To post a picture, upload it to imageshack.com you'll have to create an account, then post the link to the image here in your reply. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 izombie616

izombie616
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

I really have no clue what my laptop was anymore, a Toshiba but thats all I got.

My HDD:

http://imageshack.com/a/img829/6103/gydh.jpg

and

http://imageshack.com/a/img811/4028/9l6a.jpg

The ones I found online are:

http://imageshack.com/a/img24/733/bv9z.jpg

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Ah I see what you are referring to now, the extra bit of metal around it is simply a tray that would be used to fit into the laptop, which can be removed by unscrewing the four philips head screws on the edges of the drive. Other than that it seems to be a standard 2.5 inch SATA hard drive that should fit in any usb hard drive cage that you can purchase online. :) 

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 izombie616

izombie616
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

Awesome, thank you! When it died I had a lot of old pictures and documents on it so I'm hoping to get those back and maybe just have an extra hard drive if I ever need one!

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

Not a problem :) 

They should still be there if the drive still works. :) Hope they you get them back. :)

Have a nice evening, 

sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users