Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hey, All!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GinoDL

GinoDL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

My name's GinoDL, an "Italianized" version of Eugene, a popular name in my extended family (there's four of us).  I'm from New Jersey and a retired Electrical Engineer and Contractor, who's been in computers since the early 80's (various Atari's until I could afford a PC).  My current project (challenge) is a dual-boot Windows XP/Windows 7 computer to cope with MS's abandonment of XP.  I just couldn't get my head around going all the way to Windows 8.  My sister just bought a laptop with Windows 8.1 on it, and it doesn't seem as forbidding as I imagined Win 8 to be.  Maybe my next headache will be to get to 8.1.  Dual booting is proving to be a God-send in converting from XP to 7, since I can switch from one OS to the other if my programs don't want to cooperate.  Setting it up was a cinch - if you are currently using XP, for example, just use one of the Partition juggling programs to set up a new partition for Windows 7 ( if you've got the room), then install 7 on it.  Windows will set up a startup screen that lets you choose which system you want to use, and that's about it.  You're on your own when it comes to the individual application programs, though.  Some of them will work fine, and you might even be able to setup up a desktop icon on your new 7 system to run them off their original location (for XP).  Others may require you to install them on the new 7 partition, particularly if there are specific drivers involved.  It isn't as daunting as it might sound.  In any event, with the end of support for XP coming, it's a relatively painless way to deal with it. 

I'm looking forward to my involvement with Bleeping Computer, since I spend a lot of time messing with the one I have, and find I need a lot of sources for support.  I hope I can afford some help to others on this forum, and I fully intend to try.  Nice to be here!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Hey there GinoDL and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

Sounds like you've been busy. Good job on the dual boot XP / 7, sounds like a great way to handle the very-soon end of XP.

See you in the Forums.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users