Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occasional Freezing with High Pitched Electrical Crackling

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Madolinn

Madolinn

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

As the title states, my computer has been freezing occasionally with that very horrific noise that's actually hurtful to listen to. It never makes it onto a BSOD screen either, so I'm unsure if it creates a dump or not. It happens maybe once a month, but it sounds like it would be serious, so I'm worried. The noise itself from what I can tell isn't coming from any of the components, but it's being sent through the audio lines as I can hear it through my headset, or if I unplug them it can be heard through my speakers as well.

All except 2 occurrences were while I was watching a web stream on one monitor, and playing a game on the other. The last two were while just playing a game. The first thing I looked into was freezing caused by Flash Player, and it seemed there was a major service pack that I hadn't applied, so I downloaded and installed that, but the occurrences are very spread out so I wasn't sure if it was fixed or not, only to have it happen again recently.

My setup is the following,
Intel i5 84W Quad Core : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116898
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128594
Rosewill 750W PSU : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182073
GTX 750 Ti GPU : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121855

I already ran window's ramcheck utility, although I don't trust it, no errors detected. The ram was unopened from a computer bought over a year ago so that's the only thing I don't have a warranty for nor do I know the product number or brand.

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2014 - 05:06 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

Does the sound only come through the speakers? For example, if you had your speakers off, is the sound physically being produced by the computer?

mYIGVc5.png

#3 Madolinn

Madolinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

Unfortunately I hadn't thought of checking that at the time. And since the occurances are so sparatic, I'm not even sure I could attempt to check that in a timely manner to get back to you. However, I'll just assume that if it is a hardware problem, that whatever is making the sound, if any at all, is the issue and have that replaced.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

Capacitors make loud pops and high pitch noises. Likely it's the PSU, although it can be the Video card or motherboard as well. All those components have capacitors on them. Don't attempt to open the power supply case as the caps in there are dangerous high voltage and can kill. You can inspect through the grills with a light to see if they are leaking, swelled or pop their tops.

Edited by technonymous, 30 March 2014 - 01:58 AM.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

This can be tough to locate but my feelings are that it is software based.  The sound you describe only in the headphones.  Checking what's running with the task manager and maybe the error log might reveal some clues.

#6 Madolinn

Madolinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

Since the computer totally locks up at the time of the sound, I can't check it during that time. Checking over the processes now, and it would appear nothing is out of the ordinary as far as I can see. Nothing hogging resources, oddly named, or undescriptive.

My assumption was it was software or driver based, but I'd like to check to see if I can narrow this down a bit further by listening for the sound next time around. But as I mentioned, I have no idea what the cause is in order to even influence it to crash for me to listen. And even if it can't be heard directly from any parts, I guess that doesn't really mean it's not a hardware issue anyways.

Edited by Madolinn, 29 March 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

could you read this How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy and paste your link of speecy snapshot on your next post. just snapshot link not upload it :wink:

Edited by abauw, 29 March 2014 - 04:46 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 Madolinn

Madolinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

Certainly, here you are: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HnIVp3d1GZyHtwNmkbzbFta

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

could yo do some test, just go to BIOS setup and leave your computer (dont do anything in BIOS) for a while and try to hear do you still hear electrical cracking that you use to hear, if you still hear it please turn your computer off and unplugged your hardrive cable and do test on BIOS again and to hear it again does it still happen or not.

#10 Madolinn

Madolinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

I can leave it on over night in hopes that it crashes, sure. I've been trying to do heavy CPU tasks to see if that would influence it, but so far to no success. Maybe being on for more than a day will cause it, it's at least worth a try. As stated before though, the time between occurrences have ranged from a day to a month. Hopefully it won't be that long this time around, I hate to feel as if I'm wasting everyone's time.

#11 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

sorry my mistakes, I missed word "one a month"

could you try to hear the sound on this video, does this sound that you hear on you computer?

#12 Madolinn

Madolinn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

Fortunately not, that sounded even worse. I guess mine could be better described at as high frequency, scrambling, sound that changes pitch and seems entirely random. It's really difficult to describe. Fortunately I found a similar sound in a sound clip that I'll attempt to refind and post when I wake up.

#13 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:58 AM

ok, please post the sound like your problem after you wake up :wink:

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:09 AM

Well that speccy looks normal except it reports the wrong voltages. That's due to speccy though. HD is good, temps good, clocks good. Maybe a fan is seized up and the bearing is dry making a squeel/whirling noise. They can get quite loud. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KlhMgmaRVI

Edited by technonymous, 30 March 2014 - 02:11 AM.

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

sorry my mistakes, I missed word "one a month"

could you try to hear the sound on this video, does this sound that you hear on you computer?

Usually by the time you hear that the drive won't boot. :mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users