Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless card doesn't work in Windows after rootkit, but works in Linux

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shadai

Shadai

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

So I registered just to toss in my 2 pennies.

I have the exact same problem the OP has.

Working on a computer for a friend, she had a massive 4 Trojan and I suspect rootkit invasion on her laptop that runs 32bit Vista.  After slogging through startup, ran malwarebites and removed the malware.  I didn't think to run a rootkit scan at the time, stupid me.  Computer worked fine after removal.  Internet worked, wifi worked, I downloaded and updated the computer using Windows Update.  Assuming everything was in order, I gave it back to her.

A few days later, the computer suddenly stopped connecting to the internet via WiFi.  She did nothing to the computer since I gave it back to her other then download and install iTunes.

And while I love blaming that piece of bleep software iTunes for everything, I knew that wasn't the case.

So I took it home again, and tried to connect it to my WiFi network, thinking maybe she just got blocked at her work WiFi for downloading iTunes.  No dice.  It would connect to the network, but local access only and no internet.

Next step was playing around with the network setting to make sure they were all correct.  Networking is my weak point, but I got through it and they all appeared correct, or as correct as I was going to get them.  I knew at this point it wasn't my WiFi, so no router resets or anything like that were performed because I had 4 other computers and a phone connected to it.

Next came driver reinstall.  Nothing.  Interesting enough, she's running an Atheros card too.

Out of desperation really, I tried hard plugging the computer directly into the modem.  Bingo!  Internet!

So I have a network card that would connect to the network but not the internet, but when I hard plugged the computer into the system, it suddenly worked.

Because my network-fu is weak, I decided the next best step would be a reinstall of windows.  She didn't have anything on the computer she cared to keep, so gave me the ok to wipe the system.  I figured if anything was wrong I was missing, a clean reinstall would fix it.

Unfortunately, she didn't have a disk. 

Luckily (or unluckily as it turned to be) the computer came with a system recovery partition.  So I ran that, formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Vista and a load of crapware.

Still had the same problem.  Could connect to the network, but not the internet.

Understandably, I'm getting a bit frustrated by now.  So I slog through windows updates, removing crapware, thinking that perhaps if I have it updated it will magically start working.

The answer is of course, still no, but interestingly enough, I did find a (the?) problem.  I ran a rootkit scan and found 4 files.  When I tried to fix them, it threw me an error and said:  "cannot fix".  Great.

It all started when I couldn't get the laptop to install Vista Service Pack 1.  It would "download" the update, install, ask me to reboot, I would, then when I went back to updates to check for more, lo and behold, it tells me it needs Service Pack 1 installed.  After several attempts at this, using windows update, then manually trying to update it, I finally gave up and went searching for an answer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/windows-vista-service-pack-1-wont-install/578128fe-9355-46c5-9e42-fe69384cfdd4

Super.

Following those links get you here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

And then ultimately to the answer here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/pc-rendered-unusable-after-attempting-to-install/c44429fb-3f7c-4646-8529-5a97bb3cd0eb (scroll down to the answer part of that post).

System recovery didn't work because I believe the rootkit infected the partition.  So I'm assuming trying to recover only embedded it further.

Since I don't have a Vista install disk, I'm kind of up a creek with this one right now, because I can't do a clean install.  I have Windows 7 on a USB stick, and I think a clean install of 7 will solve the problem but my friend is going to have to buy a key.

Just as a fun aside, the network card does work.  I plugged in my Linux Mint 16 USB stick and ran it off the stick without installing it.  Computer works fine on linux.  The wireless card works just fine, and it connects to the internet as well.  In fact, I'm regisering, browsing, and typing this entire long winded response on that linux install that is connected to the internet via the wireless card I thought initially was broken and needed to be replaced.

TL;DR If you ran a system restore, you probably didn't get the entire infection.  If you ran a disk that came from the company that sold you the computer (like HP), that isn't a full install of Vista.  Only a clean install as listed in the third link has a chance to fix it.  I'd wager one of those applies here.  Sadly, since I don't have a full Vista install disk or an extra Windows 7 key lying about, I can't test this to see if it indeed works.  However, I know the computer works fine if I can get Linux running off a USB stick to connect successfully to the net via the wireless card.

Anyone else have any experience on this?  I'm still partially in the dark on it, however I'm thinking (hoping?) I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Moderator Edit: Split off from another post for clarity

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 March 2014 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

What DNS servers do you have listed? try setting them to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.20 and give it a try.

If you do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew does it get a new IP? or do you use a static IP? Just curious if it can't ping the router how is it getting an IP address. And it's coming back with a DNS error when trying to ping an outside address. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hi Tehyoda,

Actually just realised I got same question as CaveDweller2 - can you confirm how do you get IP addresses for your pc, default gateway, DNS & DHCP? Are they assigned automatically or statically by yourself?

Edited by easyrider2, 25 March 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#4 Shadai

Shadai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

I don't remember off hand what the DNS servers were.... I think they were set to those you listed initially, then I changed it to automatically obtain a DNS.  Didn't work either way.

Also, I did try ipconfig/release then /refresh and still no dice. 

As I said before, my network-fu is very weak.  I'm good with computers in software/hardware and stuff, but networking has always been my weak point.

The really weird thing is the wireless card seems to work in connecting to the net, just no internet.  However, when I run Linux Mint off a USB stick, the card works just fine.  Connects to the net and lets me download/browse.

I suspect she had a root kit installed and it somehow wormed its way into the recovery partition which is what is causing the problem to repeat itself after system restore.   Because by all accounts it doesn't make any sense if I wipe the hard drive clean and start all over with the factory image it would still be having the exact same problem.  That would indicate to me that the hardware is bad.  However, since it works just fine in Linux, I know its not the card having problems.

Edited by Shadai, 25 March 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

If you have both the IP and DNS set to obtain automatically then you did ipconfig /release /renew but can't ping your router...how did it get a new IP address? that comes from your router.  

what is controlling your wireless network? windows? some other software?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Shadai

Shadai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Not sure what you mean by that.  My cable connects to the cable modem which then directly connects to the WiFi router.  From there, the computers connect via WiFi mostly using windows software/drivers that control the network card.  As I keep saying, networking is my weak point.

The simplest way I can describe the problem is thusly:  I have one computer that can connect to the network via windows but it cannot get internet; meaning I have local access only and when I fire up a browser and try to go to www.Google.com it times out and tells me I'm not connected.  Now, that VERY SAME computer when I connect my USB stick that has Linux Mint 16 on and turn the computer on telling it to fire into Linux Mint will access the wireless card just fine.  The card sees the networks, connects, and when I type in www.Google.com it takes me to googles search page.  Ironically, I can plug this computer directly into the modem for a direct connection, and it will get internet on both Linux and Windows installs.

(this rules out the wireless card ie a hardware problem)

ALL the other computers in my house have no problem at all connecting to the internet using WiFi.

(this rules out the router, as it works fine in literally all applications except the one computer when it runs windows)

Also, keep in mind that computer doesn't connect using windows AFTER a full System restore, which should have reset any funky setting back to normal.  Since most OS's out of the box seem to connect to standard WiFi networks just fine, and I've never had to play with some weird settings to get anything to connect to my WiFi, I'm not quite sure what I have here.

Again, if I knew what was wrong I guess I wouldn't be here.

My best guess is this thing had a malware infection so bad that it infected the system restore partition so trying to use it to full restore doesn't actually fix the problem.  This is after several days of banging by head against the wall trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

A Small Networking Lesson:

DHCP = what hands out IP addresses - normally a router

DNS = what take a URL like bleepingcomputer.com and maps it to 208.87.149.250 an IP address.

If your IPv4 properties on your wireless are set to obtain automatically and you refresh your IP address by typing in ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew but you can't ping your router, the device that gives your devices IP addresses, then how are you getting new IP addresses? 

I would go into device manager, uninstall the wireless, and reboot. Let windows install it again. Because I agree, if it works in Mint but not Windows then it's not hardware but software. Then type ipconfig /all at a command prompt, take a screen shot, and post it please. That is if it's still not working. I'm trying to isolate where the issue is, in the wireless software or windows. 

#8 Shadai

Shadai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for your help.

I went to device manager and uninstalled it.  Before I could reboot, it re-installed the drivers automatically.  Dunno if it was the right ones or not.  Cleary not, as I'm still unable to connect to the internet.

Here is the result of the ipconfig/all:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Diana-PC
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-4C-AD-54-39
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4c11:1150:412b:30a2%11(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.19(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:06:04 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 27, 2014 4:06:04 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184557132
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-24-F3-47-A2

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{BAC48701-5C8E-45EF-BF3C-B4E4700EB
A7F}
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.19%18(Preferred)
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Windows\system32>

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Did you do a ipconfig /release / renew before the ipconfig /all ?

Edited by CaveDweller2, 26 March 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#10 Shadai

Shadai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

Yeah I think I did. 

But since I'm not sure, I fired the computer back up and did it again, this time having both in the window.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.
An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The sy
stem cannot find the file specified.

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::75b9:5ae2:ec53:f335%12

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
sconnected.
An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The sy
stem cannot find the file specified.

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::75b9:5ae2:ec53:f335%12
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.19

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.19%18

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-4C-AD-54-39
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::75b9:5ae2:ec53:f335%12(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.19(Preferred)
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:13:44 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:13:44 PM
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201334348
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-24-F3-47-A2

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{BAC48701-5C8E-45EF-BF3C-B4E4700EB
A7F}

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.19%18(Preferred)
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Windows\system32>

Remember I'm not sure even if we get the wireless connection working it will solve the problem.  It will be a victory only to lose the war since I can't seem to get it to update to SP1.  Which is why I think I'm having the problems I'm having.  But if this sheds some light for you, by all means I'm happy to oblige.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Sharon-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : 
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

The first one is from the first PC you posted....the second is from the one you just posted. They aren't the same nor are they connected to the same router. the first is 192.168.1.254 and the second is 192.168.1.1. Sooooo which PC is having the issue? 

#12 Shadai

Shadai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Yes they are.  Look again. 

Are you confusing me for the OP?

From my post (#20 in this thread):

Windows IP Configuration

Now from my second post (#22 in this thread):

Windows IP Configuration

Edited by Shadai, 26 March 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Ok I need more sleep and less studying. why did you post right in the middle of someone else's thread?  

Can a mod split these please. Sorry

#14 Shadai

Shadai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Because my problem is pretty much exactly the same.  I found this thread when I was searching for answers and I thought I would add my perspective to it.  There was no answer for it, so I wanted to see if someone had seen it before and if they found a solution other than where I was coming up with.

Sorry I don't mean to confuse anyone or cause trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users