Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IRC Chat connection issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LMRunner

LMRunner

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Hi,

I hope someone can help me resolve an issue that has me baffled.  I have 18 clients all on the same subnet.  9 of them can connect to the websvr and 9 can not using Mako Chat.  I can not even ping the websvr on the bad computers.  This issue started a few months ago but was only affecting 2 clients.  All other applications work great i.e., internet, outlook, etc.  The strange thing is that if I switch the IPs between good computer and the "bad" one, then Mako Chat works on the bad but breaks on the good one.  I am not smart on Mako Chat.  Initally the user was getting an error that said "You are not a registered user" and would not connect.  Now it just keeps trying to connect but never does.

I verified the the websvr IP and port is correct on Mako Chat clients.  I've also reset WINSOCK.  I've also tried connecting using the IP instead of the server name but same thing.  I've also ruled out the switch as being bad because I can ping all other servers from the non-working Chat client.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2014 - 09:45 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

It almost sounds like the IP addresses got banned. What if you change them not to known good ones but to ones on the same subnet? say 10.10.10.5 - .13 are good and .14 - .22 are bad....what about .23 or higher? assuming a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 LMRunner

LMRunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Unfortunately I only have a few spare IPs that I have been assigned.  I really can't spare any IPs.  I did test several workstations with my spare IPs and they do work but I had to put their assigned IPs back on.  The websvr is on a different subnet.  There is no firewall issues either as both my clients and the websvr are behind the firewall.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

well if you tried unused IPs and they worked then something in your network has blocked access to those IP addresses. Check your firewalls. I'm not familiar with this sort of chat but is there a way to ban via IP? I'd look into that as well.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users