Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old user files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 johnbz

johnbz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

Dear Bleeping

6 months ago i had to reinstall Windows.  I couldn't reformat C: before doing that.

I still have an old folder C:\Documents and Settings\John last accessed in September 2013, created in 2008 which I cannot access as administrator. It clearly has quite a lot of content and appears to be taking up several gigabytes of space. (SAV takes several minutes to scan its contents.) My new user name is JZ.

(Why can SAV scan it but I can't see it even when viewing of hidden and system files is enabled?)

There's other old stuff there as well in C:\Program Files but I don't think the space issue is as important for them.

By the way, do you approve of the advice that the contents of C:\i386 can be moved to another drive? See for example http://ask-leo.com/can_i_move_or_delete_my_i386_directory_to_free_up_some_space.html

Many thanks

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

I wonder if you can just use "Send To" and dump it onto a flash drive.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users