Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive failure

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bigmal666

Bigmal666

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

I have a seagate hard drive which has failed. When plugged in an internal alarm sounds. Although the drive is under warranty, Amazon who supplied it, rightly or wrongly deny any liability.

The disk does not show up in windows but the familier USB noise is audible when plugging it in or removing the USB cable.

Advice thus far, was to carefully remove the hard drive from it's casing and connect it to my lap top via an indipendent USB adapter for that purpose I have purhased a WNSTRS C1 dociking station.

When I attached the hard drive to the docking station, to begin with the formentioned audible alarm sounds. The drive does not show up in windows then the audible alarm ceases. Then when plugging in the USB cable to my lap top the familiar sound as previously mentioned is audiable and the disk can be seen in Windows 7 disk management as an unallocated uninitialised drive.

On my first 2 attempts when clicking on the disk tab an opportunity occured to either initialise the disk or to click on a tab that said off line.

However, carrying out both these functions returned an error message "Data error cyclick redundancy check" on trying for a 3rd and successive attempts the imitilised disk option is grayed out and the data error message as previously mentioned appears when clicking the off line tab.

HELP PLEASE !!!!

As if that isn't bad enough, my second back up back up seagate hard drive has also failed. This one flashes the green light of death in it's normal casing and nothing more. As for putting it in the docking station I would probably have more success in trying to launch a saturn iV rocket from it! Any suggestions other that setting fire to the hard drives and praying to Appolo would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

When plugged in an internal alarm sounds.

Are you referring to a sound from within the hard drive? If so, there is no alarm in a hard drive. There are however terminal failure modes which produce a characteristic beeping sound. In this situation there would be no alternative to pursuing warranty replacement (which may be rejected if examination of the drive's accelerometer record shows it has been dropped). I'd suggest finding out what remedies consumer protection legislation provides you in your legal jurisdiction.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Seagate nor Amazon holds any liability when it comes to data on the hard drive. Good backup plans should always be used... As for the warranty: check on seagates website by using the serial #, usually seagate will replace the drive with a "refurbished" drive. Amazon does have a standard return policy, I do not know what that is on hard drives.

An audible beep from a drive as stated above, likely means the drive is in an unrecoverable state. If data is needed advanced data recovery may be needed and usually it is not cheap.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Bigmal666

Bigmal666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

Are you referring to a sound from within the hard drive? If so, there is no alarm in a hard drive. There are however terminal failure modes which produce a characteristic beeping sound. In this situation there would be no alternative to pursuing warranty replacement (which may be rejected if examination of the drive's accelerometer record shows it has been dropped). I'd suggest finding out what remedies consumer protection legislation provides you in your legal jurisdiction.

I am indeed referring to an internql noise that i described as sounding like an alarm, as that was wording used on a post by another blogger to seagate on their site. With regard to the drive in warranty, Seagate would charge me about £400 GB for this, an amount of money i can't afford.  Amazon deny liability falling back on a clause in their contract relating to unforseen loss. Our solicitor has already pointed out to them that there is sufficient evidence in the market place to state that such a loss can be forseen, and thereby the UK Sale of Goods Act apply. Having been down these lines before, i can estimate that this will take approximately 3 years to resolve, most likely up until the day before a court procedure is fixed. Prior to getting there, I, as the consumer have to show that I have mitigated my losses. Ergo, even if I could afford it, I cannot just go to Seagate and have them attempt to repair it. i have to make inroads into doing it myself or find another cheaper and relaible source. I did not realy want to get into the legal logistics here, as they are very complex,even though the relevant part of the Sale of goods Act is simply put. Having been unsuccesful with my above efforts, i am now seeking adice on further steps I can take myself without breaking the bank, and conforming to the principle of mitigsating losses. Any other advice anyone has would be welcomed.

#5 Bigmal666

Bigmal666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Also as stated both my hard drives went wrong within about 24hrs of each other.  Short of owning a plethora of them, I can't see what else I could have done to securely back upmy data. I did investigate several online back up plans, but they were not able to cope backing up several gig of photographic data

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

If you can see the drive at a bios level or in windows under disk managment, you may be able to recover data. Some windows programs I have used with sucess: Get Data Back, R-Studio. I prefer Get Data Back over R-studio most of the time, sometimes one will get more than the other.

In linux I use DDRescue... This is a bit tougher to use and I do it all from a command line.

None of these resources will work if the drive can not be seen at a bios level. That would require advanced recovery such as replaceing the hard drive controller board (I hear it does not work on drives larger than 320gb) or possibly taking the drive apart (in a clean room) which is highly expensive.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

As far as backup plans go, I do not personally use a cloud storage service but highly recommend it. I keep all important data on at least 3-5 sources. Some of those sources are in a bank, not my home, if a house burns down and all of your backups are located there, they are all likely gone.

Raid storage with a good raid controller is your best friend: smart raid controllers will warn when a hard drive develops problems so you can replace it and the raid will automatically rebuild (data is stored on at least 2 different drives in most raid situations raid 5, 1+0, 0+1, etc. Raid nas drives are great. I have one and have had to replace 1 drive so far.

Flash drives, extremely important files I have on my personal computers (all of them laptop, media center, desktop) plus they are on my nas raid drive, a few flash drives etc.

If you have a gmail account you can email yourself photos for a free type cloud solution. The same goes for important files.

If data is valuable store it everywhere. A single external drive is not a good choice for backup, external drives can be dropped easily and I have seen this happen many times. When it comes to storage: more devices = better backup.

#8 Bigmal666

Bigmal666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

As far as backup plans go, I do not personally use a cloud storage service but highly recommend it. I keep all important data on at least 3-5 sources. Some of those sources are in a bank, not my home, if a house burns down and all of your backups are located there, they are all likely gone.

Raid storage with a good raid controller is your best friend: smart raid controllers will warn when a hard drive develops problems so you can replace it and the raid will automatically rebuild (data is stored on at least 2 different drives in most raid situations raid 5, 1+0, 0+1, etc. Raid nas drives are great. I have one and have had to replace 1 drive so far.

Flash drives, extremely important files I have on my personal computers (all of them laptop, media center, desktop) plus they are on my nas raid drive, a few flash drives etc.

If you have a gmail account you can email yourself photos for a free type cloud solution. The same goes for important files.

If data is valuable store it everywhere. A single external drive is not a good choice for backup, external drives can be dropped easily and I have seen this happen many times. When it comes to storage: more devices = better backup.i

Thanks, i am aware of all this, and have taken further steps with these issues. However, what I am looking for here, is the technical advice as to how to recover the data on the respective hard drives.

#9 Bigmal666

Bigmal666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

If you can see the drive at a bios level or in windows under disk managment, you may be able to recover data. Some windows programs I have used with sucess: Get Data Back, R-Studio. I prefer Get Data Back over R-studio most of the time, sometimes one will get more than the other.

In linux I use DDRescue... This is a bit tougher to use and I do it all from a command line.

None of these resources will work if the drive can not be seen at a bios level. That would require advanced recovery such as replaceing the hard drive controller board (I hear it does not work on drives larger than 320gb) or possibly taking the drive apart (in a clean room) which is highly expensive.

Thanks for the above advice.  I am otherwise engaged as far as being able to try it now, I will probably have to leaver it until Monday, at which point, i will give it a go and post a response as to what happens.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

On the Seagate hard drive that has failed, please post the model and whether you bought it new, used, or refurbished

--- How long has it been working ok?

--- Is it an external hard drive you connect via USB?

--- Amazon might deny liability but what about the manufacturer or the seller Amazon sold it to you from?

--- How does your warranty work?

Roughly speaking, the Data error (cyclic redundancy check) means the operating system cannot read or write the data correctly

I’ve seen some comments like this

--- Cyclic redundancy error specifically refers to errors encountered in reading from a disk or file.
--- The hard drive might have some bad sectors leading to this issue

On the internal alarm noise you are hearing, I can’t say I’ve heard any alarm noises from a hard drive but I have heard strange noises and each time the hard drive needed replacement

Work on that warranty, find out who is liable for it, you paid or it

On the second back up seagate hard drive that has also failed

--- Please post the model, how long it’s been in use & describe what that means

Edit: Well I as I posted this, I noticed afterward that your focus is to save the data on each drive so I'll be checking that out

Edited by cmptrgy, 28 March 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

I have actually heard beeping from hard drives as you mention, in most of those cases, the hard drive was not seen at a bios level. I never tried replacing a logic board on those drives. How the beep sound was being generated is beyond my knowledge of hard drive hardware.

One last thought: freeze the drive, put it inside of a plastic bag and leave it in this bag when removing from the freezer. The plastic bag should help prevent condensation build up on the drive (this could be bad). Try to open the bag and plug in cables through the opening. I have managed to get data from a few drives by repeatedly freezing the drive, running it until it disappeared or stopped responding. I was able to get ~120GB from one drive over the course of a work week by freezing, copying data for 10 minutes until if failed, then re-freezing and repeating the process. Annoying yes: happy customer: yes. I would only recommend this after all other options have been exhausted. Also I do not know if this would void the warranty so do this at your own risk.

Edited by zingo156, 28 March 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#12 Bigmal666

Bigmal666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

On the Seagate hard drive that has failed, please post the model and whether you bought it new, used, or refurbished

--- How long has it been working ok?

--- Is it an external hard drive you connect via USB?

--- Amazon might deny liability but what about the manufacturer or the seller Amazon sold it to you from?

--- How does your warranty work?

Roughly speaking, the Data error (cyclic redundancy check) means the operating system cannot read or write the data correctly

I’ve seen some comments like this

--- Cyclic redundancy error specifically refers to errors encountered in reading from a disk or file.
--- The hard drive might have some bad sectors leading to this issue

On the internal alarm noise you are hearing, I can’t say I’ve heard any alarm noises from a hard drive but I have heard strange noises and each time the hard drive needed replacement

Work on that warranty, find out who is liable for it, you paid or it

On the second back up seagate hard drive that has also failed

--- Please post the model, how long it’s been in use & describe what that means

Edit: Well I as I posted this, I noticed afterward that your focus is to save the data on each drive so I'll be checking that out

I will post the other info over the weekend.  The legal aspect is covered, but is an elongated process and a story for another time I feel.

#13 Bigmal666

Bigmal666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

I have actually heard beeping from hard drives as you mention, in most of those cases, the hard drive was not seen at a bios level. I never tried replacing a logic board on those drives. How the beep sound was being generated is beyond my knowledge of hard drive hardware.

One last thought: freeze the drive, put it inside of a plastic bag and leave it in this bag when removing from the freezer. The plastic bag should help prevent condensation build up on the drive (this could be bad). Try to open the bag and. plug in cables through the opening. I have managed to get data from a few drives by repeatedly freezing the drive, running it until it disappeared or stopped responding. I was able to get ~120GB from one drive over the course of a work week by freezing, copying data for 10 minutes until if failed, then re-freezing and repeating the process. Annoying yes: happy customer: yes. I would only recommend this after all other options have been exhausted. Also I do not know if this would void the warranty so do this at your own risk.

Pun intended: sounds like a COOL idea, I will put it on a back BURNER whilst i try the more usual technical tricks first though

#14 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

if you want RMA seagate hardrive you could see picture on this link Seagate Warranty Void Checklist

that was a good guidance to RMA Seagate hardrive for almost free of charge, almost because you need pay for shipping cost or transportation to nearest Seagate Authorized Distributor :wink:

the best way to RMA is bring it to Seagate Authorized Distributor as they will accept it you your hardrive at good shape (not like picture on the link I give) and if you lucky you could get Replacement Hardrive less than 5 minutes if they have replacement stock and if not than you must wait for a couple day / week.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Pun intended: sounds like a COOL idea, I will put it on a back BURNER whilst i try the more usual technical tricks first though

LOL!

It wasn't clear to me from your original post how far you were along the trail dealing with the problem, and that your emphasis was on recovery of the drive contents.

The "freezer trick" has been known to work (for limited time while the drive stays cold) in situations like a sticking armature bearing, which could be the cause of the fault that causes beeping. A caution is that freezing should be left until the absolute last resort, since it can result in severe internal damage if a head freezes to the platter, or there is enough internal water vapor to become crystals, which are large and abrasive enough to damage heads or strip the magnetic platter coating.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users