Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How setup cctv viewing remotely?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chcctv

chcctv

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:33 AM

Hi, I have configure my dvr and can view it online from any computer if am connected to the same wireless  router (A). BUT if I try to access it from another wireless router ( B) I will get an error message " Safari can’t open the page “http://192.168.1.10:8080/” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding. Please what can I do? as I want to be able to access the dvr from where ever I am say remotely. The DVR is H.264 network DVR, model DVR-6004E. Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 29 March 2014 - 12:20 PM.
Moved from Introductions to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

Are both wireless routers on the same network?

Normally if you are connecting from outside of the network you would connect to the router's WAN IP and forward the ports to the device in the router settings.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

Here is a step by step similar video to give you an idea what it takes to get it all working. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ks8RH8RjwI Remember, you need to secure this well with a atleast a good long login name and a 4 factor generated password of 20 characters long. In this example there is just a login this does not protect against brute forcing attacks & middle man attacks securing the stream. For something like this I generally recommend a step further to securely protect the service through a VPN or a SSH server.

Remember, hackers are looking for these sort of services running and before long you will be getting probed. Some software for these DVR devices do implement some sort of  https ssl security. Once a device or server is compromised they can use it as a vector to expose and gain access to the rest of the internal network. Generally further security practices is to also place the server/device into DMZ, VLAN, or double nat with two seperate routers both with different IP ranges to protect the internal network.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

4 factor generated password
  Is not what it is called.  What technonymous means is a password with all four character types: upper case, lower case, numbers, and symbols.  Factors are different methods of identification: something you know, something you have, or something you are.  Those are the only three I am aware of.  Something you know is your password.  Something you have would be a token or cell phone.  Something you are would be finger prints.

You have to open a port on your router to allow access to the cameras, port 8080 from your example.  Changing the password for the DVR to something other than the default is highly recommended.  The level of difficulty is up to you.   You will access the cameras from outside your network by using your public IP address.  This is the address from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).  You can get it by going to Whatismyip.com.  Your IP address may change and you would lose access until you were able to get the current IP address again.  You can use a service such as NoIP.com to keep it up to date.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

When it comes to generating a password though in a sense they are technically factors in the password itself. If their was symbolic characters added that would be a factor tied into the password making it even stronger. You're correct a login is a factor, password is a factor, associated file is a factor, an associated hardware uuid, fingerprint, eye scan etc.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

The industry refers to them as character categories of types as shown in the Microsoft article Passwords must meet complexity requirements.  I had to look it up myself as I don't normally tell people how to create passwords due to the fact that people are not capable of creating truly random passwords.

If you are looking for some truly random, you'll never remember them, passwords you can use Perfect Passwords.  If you want to make passwords that will take a long time to brute force Password Haystacking.  And finally if you're just tired of having to create all of these passwords and keep track of them, LastPass

#7 installer

installer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

Hi CHCCTV,

The only problem that you are facing is that port forwarding has not been setup correctly on your router. In other words you can only view your CCTV on you own LAN network and not the world wide WAN.

Here is a Free guide I have made to help you sort out the port forwarding bit: http://qrcctv.co.uk/cctv/cctv-port-forwarding

Also please make sure:

1. Your DVR (or NVR!) is on static and not DHCP! (Never use DHCP, unless you want extra headache and maintenance!)

You can choose this settings on your DVRs main menu > Network section.

2. Port forward all of the ports you require (usually 3 different ports) to the same internal IP address.

3. As Rkilroy mentioned if you don't have a static IP address from your ISP, just use a free (or paid) DNS service like noip.com

3. You can find out your CCTV IP Address and start watching your CCTV online. :)

P.S I have made a free alternative to whatismyip.com, mine is free from all kind of adverts! http://qrcctv.co.uk/myip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users