Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 USB removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SillyBilly

SillyBilly

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

Greetings,

I purchased a new computer with Win 8.  I have added nothing to it.  I'm transitioning slowly.  When I inserted a USB thumb drive into my XP I needed to wait for the "Safely Remove Hardware" notice before removing the USB.  However, I cannot find any information on this topic including the book, "Window 8 for Dummies".  I inserted a USB into one of the slots on the Win 8 computer and read the files on it. There was no icon on the task bar on either the Start screen or the Desktop to safely remove the USB.

Has this function been done away with  in Win 8?

I resorted to Shutting Down the computer and then removing the USB.  How do I Safely remove the USB and still keep the computer running?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

The function is still there, on the desktop just as with earlier releases. My XPS 8700 that shipped with Windows 8, would see, mount & allow for safe removal most of my working Flash drives, but there's a couple that I have that doesn't show, of the Team brand. However, those work well on all of my other computers.

Weird, after downgrading to Windows 7 (I considered it an upgrade), those same Flash drives worked perfectly.

Have you tried other USB devices & see what happens, such as printers/webcams?

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hello

The feature is still on Windows 8. Open up My Computer -> Right click on the USB drive -> Select 'Eject'

#4 SillyBilly

SillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try the USB again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users