Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will backing up windows and then installing linux delete my windows forever?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 matttexas17

matttexas17

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

So I have a 200gb external drive. If I backup my windows onto it, then put the external hard drive somewhere safe, and then i completely erase windows, if i don't like linux could I go back to my backup and reload windows again? 

So here are the steps I want to take:

1. Grab my windows 8 laptop

2. Backup my windows laptop onto a external hard drive

3. Uninstall windows

4. Install linux

5. Try linux. 

(If i like linux, the steps stop here. But if i don't like linux, then could I reload windows 8 from the backup? or would i have to re buy it?)

summary question: Could my backup of my windows computer be used to restore the windows onto a system with no OS? 

and if not, then what would be a method of doing this? 

Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

Of course you can! If this computer shipped with Windows 8, the OS you're looking to get rid of, be sure to create your recovery DVD set (usually 3 to 5 DVD's), This will ensure that you can revert the computer to factory state, even if your backup fails to restore.

You should be backing up your computer anyway, starting from Day 1, after fully updating, but before installing any new apps. If you don't already have a backup app, Macrium Reflect Free version works well with Windows 8 & it's special partitioning scheme (GPT, rather than MBR). Be sure to create a rescue CD for recovery.

Also, if your computer has Secure Boot enabled, you'll need to disable that & possibly a couple of other settings. For that info pertaining to your make/model computer, you can often find this on the OEM site. It likely won't be in your owner's manual. Otherwise, you won't be able to boot the Linux install media.

Best of Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

5. Try linux. 

(If i like linux, the steps stop here.

Why not try a few distro's on live disc first?

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

Why not try a few distro's on live disc first?

That's what I had to do when first discovering Linux in 2009. I had so many different users telling me which OS was best. In the end, I had to do as Nick stated, trying out Live CD's. PCLinuxOS looked promising, but the lack of decent networking/printing drivers drove me away. Then there was Slackware (very hard), CentOS & several others. Finally I discovered Ubuntu & not long afterwards, Linux Mint 7 (Gloria) at the time.

It is much better to try the Live media prior to install, as it takes much less time than installing/reinstalling. Once you narrow it down to a couple, run from Live DVD for a few days, from that point, you'll end up with a favorite.

Best of Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

Once you've found a distro you like, there's also the possibility of dual booting between Linux and Windows rather than deleting Windows altogether.  It will require shrinking the Windows partition to make room for it (20Gb-30Gb is plenty for Linux to run in).   It's a bit more difficult with computers which have Windows 8 pre-installed, because of the previously mentioned Secure Boot adds some extra steps, but it is possible.  There's a step by step here - http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/09/install-ubuntu-linux-alongside-windows.html

Edited by jonuk76, 28 March 2014 - 06:51 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

Hola everyone.

A bit off topic but I'm just wondering if anyone has any links  / info about dual booting Windows 7 and Fedora (64 bit).

I'm going to create a New Topic with some Start-From-Square-One type questions but thought I might start the journey here.

Thanks,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

It is workable, according to a search, however your topic will receive more exposure if, as you've stated, creating your own topic.

Google "dual boot Windows 7 & Fedora", there are several links with detailed info.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users