Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 defrag screen has extra item that won't defrag

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

The attached picture shows the results of an analysis of my hard drive (whether it needs defragging).  Notice the last entry.  It shows it's 21% fragmented, it won't defrag, and does not have a drive letter.  What is it??  This machine originally came with Windows 8 and I upgraded it 8.1 (HP p2-1310).Attached File  Capture.JPG   71.47KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

The address protocol gives the appearance of a networked drive...

\\?\

...which would normally look something like \\computername\foldername (as an example).

Do you have a networked drive attached to your computer?

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#3 jfruch1

jfruch1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

No.  This appeared after the Windows 8.1 upgrade was installed.

#4 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

Interestingly, I just checked defrag and I'm seeing the same thing, but on an SSD so it must be my boot drive.  I upgraded my system last week and did a clean install of Windows 8.1, and I noticed in Disk Management that the boot drive has new partitions that I didn't create; I assumed the OS did it.  Have you checked Disk Management lately?  If you see the same kind of partitioning it could be that defrag is looking at one of them, perhaps the new Recovery partition. 

Attached File  C Drive.JPG   23.08KB   0 downloads

Core i7 4771 - GA-B85-HD3 - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill 1333 - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD - Toshiba 2TB HDD - Corsair 200R Carbide Case - Corsair CX600M - Windows 8.1 Pro

#5 jfruch1

jfruch1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

Attached File  capture1.JPG   78.39KB   0 downloads

Here's that same view on my computer.  What in the world are all these partitions?  This is a new computer (December 2013).  Only additions I did was to upgrade from 8 to 8.1 and create the DATA STORAGE (H) partition; so, I can understand the two Recovery partitions and the OS (C ).  What's with the last two?  They are identical with the same drive letter???  That doesn't seem right.

Edited by jfruch1, 28 March 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#6 compnovo

compnovo

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

attachicon.gifcapture1.JPG

Here's that same view on my computer.  What in the world are all these partitions?  This is a new computer (December 2013).  Only additions I did was to upgrade from 8 to 8.1 and create the DATA STORAGE (H) partition; so, I can understand the two Recovery partitions and the OS (C ).  What's with the last two?  They are identical with the same drive letter???  That doesn't seem right.

My guess is that one of the smaller of the two recovery images is the one created by Windows 8.1 whereas the largest one is the factory restore partition created by HP (that one would take your PC back to factory new condition).  I don't know why there's a third.

I became aware of the Windows recovery partition when I was upgrading my system and trying to get the old install to work.

Edited by compnovo, 28 March 2014 - 08:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users