Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xbox and WMC

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:03 PM

I have a Windows 8 PC running WMC. I am using it with the HD HomeRun Prime cablecard tuner. I have an Xbox 360 in other room that I am trying to get connected. Now, due to the extensive DRM, I had to reinstall Windows in order to get play ready to actually work. The 360's media center app refuses to connect. I can get the 360 through to the video library, but would like to stream live TV there as well.

Any ideas on what I may be missing to get the two to talk to each other correctly?

Also worth noting, is that the Xbox is not seeing the DLNA server set up by the HD HomeRun Prime tuner... not sure what to make of that though.

All devices are connected to the same network router. The media center and tuner are connected via Ethernet cable, and the xbox wirelessly.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

Oh man I went through hell getting my PS3 and ps3 media server to talk over wireless. After much cussing I finally bought a 50 ft Cat6 cable and went wired. Netflix, online games everything else connected perfectly wireless but that server...man just pissed me off lol

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/connections/windows-media-center-on-xbox-360-windows-8-setup here's a link I found. Dunno if it'll help. I'm not sure about your tuner.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 waldojim42

waldojim42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the link. The one thing I forgot about was the old media center connection...

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

Did that fix it?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 waldojim42

waldojim42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

Yep. Once I removed the old WMC connection, it connected right up to the current one. :D

Now I just have to re-learn how to deal with Cisco routers...

Edited by waldojim42, 28 March 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

real Cisco routers or Linksys that say Cisco?

#7 waldojim42

waldojim42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Cisco 1712! The real ones that make me want to cry some days.

Their guides always cover some other model that works slightly different than the ones I work on.

In this case, trying to understand the relationship between that router and the 4 port WIC card in it. I cannot assign IP addresses to the interfaces as I would expect. All the commands to remove the ports from the Layer 2 switching functions don't seem to work. At this point, I am trying to learn enough about how that router handles VLANs to create one, assign it to a port, an then create my needed static NAT table.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:03 AM

What IOS version is it? and which 4 port WIC? 4ESW?

#9 waldojim42

waldojim42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

12.2 IIRC, and yes, the 4ESW. I keep seeing the slot itself referred to as a WIC interface, and it just stuck that way in my head.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

I am exceedingly busy today, otherwise I'd post here all day =)

They are called WAN interface cards so WIC is correct. Just now it's WAY more than WAN interfaces can be put in those slots.

The 4ESW is a switch not a router. Do switches get IP addresses?  Do routers do VLANs? Do VLANs get IP addresses? Looking up this information will help you learn more than someone telling you.

I think the first thing in this sentence is important to keep in mind. The router is the WAN port(s) and a chip inside with some software on it. Anything else is not part of the "router" it's just housed in the same box. It's the same for all home routers/switches. Cause that's what they are. 

Oh and since now you know that the 4ESW is a switch, where should you look for examples on how to config it?

That's all I got time for. Good Luck and have a great day. UGH @ the crap I gotta do lol

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

I have a Windows 8 PC running WMC. I am using it with the HD HomeRun Prime cablecard tuner. I have an Xbox 360 in other room that I am trying to get connected. Now, due to the extensive DRM, I had to reinstall Windows in order to get play ready to actually work. The 360's media center app refuses to connect. I can get the 360 through to the video library, but would like to stream live TV there as well.

Any ideas on what I may be missing to get the two to talk to each other correctly?

Also worth noting, is that the Xbox is not seeing the DLNA server set up by the HD HomeRun Prime tuner... not sure what to make of that though.

All devices are connected to the same network router. The media center and tuner are connected via Ethernet cable, and the xbox wirelessly.

waldojim42

A bit off topic, but how do you like the HD HomeRun Prime w/cablecard? I been thinking about getting one and ditching my cablebox/DVR from the cable company. Biggest reason is that I would need something then use to play the content on my TV(s), which is not in the budget right now (even if I would love to build a new machine).

#12 waldojim42

waldojim42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

waldojim42

A bit off topic, but how do you like the HD HomeRun Prime w/cablecard? I been thinking about getting one and ditching my cablebox/DVR from the cable company. Biggest reason is that I would need something then use to play the content on my TV(s), which is not in the budget right now (even if I would love to build a new machine).

Considering as I have only used it a few days, I will say it does quite well.

The picture quality appears to be easily as good as what Charters own box was doing, it can take a moment to change channels, but does well enough. The included tv viewer works well enough, but is a bit too simple. It also does not include all necessary codecs. WMC integration is straightforward, though MS does make it a bit harder than it needs to be.

Setting up the cable card itself was easy enough, though I did have to hunt for a Charter rep that knew how to do it.

I don't know if you are using wireless in your home or not, but be aware that this will rape a wireless connection. The Xbox in the bedroom usually does well with HD content, but there are times that it ends up breaking up due to poor wireless conditions. I am considering getting an EoP adapter and avoiding the wireless issue.

Windows Media Center handles the connections extremely well, records just fine, time shifts alright as well. But you have to be willing to shoot Microsoft if you go that route - as their DRM can be quite painful. Example: Apparently the GT210 I was using (which supports HDCP) doesn't support the encryption Microsoft wants to use, and had to be replaced. Windows 8 had to be reinstalled when Play Ready refused to update the local DRM as well.

Long story short, the box does great, it is everything else that makes life hard.

#13 waldojim42

waldojim42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:54 AM

I am exceedingly busy today, otherwise I'd post here all day =)

They are called WAN interface cards so WIC is correct. Just now it's WAY more than WAN interfaces can be put in those slots.

The 4ESW is a switch not a router. Do switches get IP addresses?  Do routers do VLANs? Do VLANs get IP addresses? Looking up this information will help you learn more than someone telling you.

I think the first thing in this sentence is important to keep in mind. The router is the WAN port(s) and a chip inside with some software on it. Anything else is not part of the "router" it's just housed in the same box. It's the same for all home routers/switches. Cause that's what they are. 

Oh and since now you know that the 4ESW is a switch, where should you look for examples on how to config it?

That's all I got time for. Good Luck and have a great day. UGH @ the crap I gotta do lol

I have certainly been learning quite a bit about how the router treats the expansion boards. More than I recall ever going through in the Cisco classes (around 2001), as we used serial connections for 90% of the class with a simple single FE interface to the switches.

At this stage, I have the interfaces configured as such:

FastEthernet 0 (the one built into the router) 75.xxx.xxx.210 255.255.255.248

FastEthernet 1 (First port on the 4ESW) VLAN 0

Vlan 0 is using 192.168.100.1

Vlan 0 nat ip inside

FE0 nat ip outside

ip nat inside source static 192.168.100.10 75.xxx.xxx.210

ip nat inside source static 192.168.100.11 75.xxx.xxx.211

ip nat inside source static 192.168.100.12 75.xxx.xxx.212

ip nat inside source static 192.168.100.13 75.xxx.xxx.213

ip nat inside source static 192.168.100.14 75.xxx.xxx.214

Of course, the gateway is set to 75.xxx.xxx.209.

At this stage, I can get the traffic from 192.168.100.10 to reach the internet via 75.xxx.xxx.210, however none of the other interfaces have been able to reach the internet. The translation happens, from the source to the destination, but it never gets sent to the interface.

Not sure what I am doing wrong at this stage.

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

Considering as I have only used it a few days, I will say it does quite well.
The picture quality appears to be easily as good as what Charters own box was doing, it can take a moment to change channels, but does well enough. The included tv viewer works well enough, but is a bit too simple. It also does not include all necessary codecs. WMC integration is straightforward, though MS does make it a bit harder than it needs to be.

Setting up the cable card itself was easy enough, though I did have to hunt for a Charter rep that knew how to do it.
I don't know if you are using wireless in your home or not, but be aware that this will rape a wireless connection. The Xbox in the bedroom usually does well with HD content, but there are times that it ends up breaking up due to poor wireless conditions. I am considering getting an EoP adapter and avoiding the wireless issue.

Windows Media Center handles the connections extremely well, records just fine, time shifts alright as well. But you have to be willing to shoot Microsoft if you go that route - as their DRM can be quite painful. Example: Apparently the GT210 I was using (which supports HDCP) doesn't support the encryption Microsoft wants to use, and had to be replaced. Windows 8 had to be reinstalled when Play Ready refused to update the local DRM as well.

Long story short, the box does great, it is everything else that makes life hard.

Thanks for the information. I figured there might be some "bumps" in the road as the Corporate Overloads <grin> don't seem to like it when you try to circumvent the "preferred way" (i.e. rent the DVR from the cable company). Ideally, I would like to use it with a Mac, but I learned a while ago that was not too likely any time soon (I don't believe the HD HomeRun Prime boxes even support recording on Macs, unless things have changed). It does look like in theory, I could use my SmartTV to watch LiveTV using DLNA. I will keep thinking about it.

Thanks again for the information. Hope your get things up and running.

#15 waldojim42

waldojim42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

You will be able to watch live tv. I have done so with MythTV already, just to prove it works. But Myth cannot record unless the signal is set to "copy freely". I don't recall what was and was not set that way at the moment.

For what little it is worth, I haven't even heard any complaints from my wife - and she usually doesn't do well with change. In fact, she has commented that she likes the WMC TV listings better than Charters.

I am still working on the router situation. I have a good idea on how to fix it, I just need time to implement it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users