Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For want of a setting, the image was lost...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SoDoneWithComputers

SoDoneWithComputers

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

Alright, so, fun fun fun fun fun fun fun FUN problem (I'm enraged at the moment). Had it for months. This close to sending this laptop with it's demon-spawn of an operating system (Windows 8) straight back to HP to have it fixed. But I digress; the problem. Images, web browsers, videos, games, icons for games, icons for programs, sample images, the tiny image that pops up when you hover your mouse over the left hand corner, EVERYTHING is pixelated! Not unbearably, but noticeably. It's as if the resolution on everything has been broken, like everything is stretched out of proportion. In games, it's like the anti-aliasing has decided to take a vacation. There has never been a more wretched hive of graphical errors and unnecessary lag as in my computer. It would be enough if it just affected games, wouldn't it? But oh no. Not this problem. It's like, "Screw it, imma mess everything else up too. Hey, you like that image on some random website, probably of a cat or something? SOILED IT." Everything has jagged edges, everything has weird shading issues; I can deal with it, but I'd rather not have to. I've done everything this computer will let me: I ran a system recovery which promised to wipe my settings but leave my files untouched (spoiler alert: it didn't), I've run a factory reset that, PLOT TWIST, wasn't the actual factory reset! I ran the REAL factory reset (I made a set of nifty disks and all), pretty much made my computer brand-new, and the problem STILL REMAINS. It may be a software issue, it may have ONCE BEEN a software issue, but has now ascended into the realm of the heavenly HARDWARE ISSUES, where none but the savviest of computer repairmen dare go. I honestly have no idea, and I've thrown this problem around tons and TONS of forums, still to no avail.

It's an HP ENVY dv6t

Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU, 2.4 GHz processor

16 GB RAM (totally unnecessary)

nVidia GeForce GT 635M Graphics card

Honestly, if it were a hardware issue, my only guess is it's something to do with the way my graphics card talks to my laptop's screen, but I don't know, I'm not a computer mechanic. That's why I'm asking you guys.

PS: I know the reason this all started. It's from a stupid Auto Clicking program I was an idiot to use. It's harmless to open and start, but the thing has a setting on it that says something like, "Go into Windows XP graphics style" or something, and that's what I assume caused the whole problem. I could open the program to check what the setting is actually called, seeing as it's harmless if you don't start it, but I'm still afraid of it. I'll attach the thing if any of you think it'll do any good.

Attached Files

Edited by SoDoneWithComputers, 27 March 2014 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

First of all - Welcome to BC !  Second - calm down, take a deep breath and try to relax, you are among friends !

I don't think it is a software issue since you say you did a factory re-set unless you re-installed this auto-clicker AFTER you did the re-set. You didn't, did you ?  If you did, uninstall it as soon as possible - 'Charms - Settings - Control panel - Programs and features'. You may also need to download the 'Revo Uninstaller' from

www.piriform.com

to remove any fragments that remain after the uninstall, Revo is very good at that, and comes with a very good uninstaller if you don't want to keep it.

Assuming that the problem continues after removing any traces of this application you are probably right about it being a hardware problem and, if the computer is still in warranty, it is time raise the matter with your supplier or HP.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 SoDoneWithComputers

SoDoneWithComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

Thank you for the greeting Chris, but I'm sad to say the program isn't an installed thing. It runs when you double click it. No installation required. The effects of it were not removed when it was removed, unfortunately.

Edited by SoDoneWithComputers, 27 March 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

In that case, definitely try the Revo uninstaller and follow the advanced removal.

NOTE -  This will take you right down to registry keys and you are reasonably safe to delete keys which Revo highlights in 'Bold', but do NOT touch any others. And if you are not happy going into the registry, or have any doubts about what you are doing in there, then DON'T !

If this doesn't work for you, then contact HP.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 SoDoneWithComputers

SoDoneWithComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Thank you Chris. I finally get some advice that I've never tried before. I will update you if this fixes the issue. I'll also likely name at least two of my children after you, so be warned.

#6 SoDoneWithComputers

SoDoneWithComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

Sorry I haven't said anything in a while. I've been wallowing. The program didn't fix the problem (though I did appreciate its other cleaning skills), and I am planning on shipping the computer off soon, after I've finished backing everything up. Thanks for trying to help. 

You know, it's odd though. Every time I update my card (the nVidia one), the problem changes. It either gets slightly better, slightly worse, or doesn't change. For example, about two or three months ago, I was in a sweet spot; the problem was almost completely unnoticeable. Almost no jagged edges anywhere. Then I updated, and lo and behold, it returned. See, my updates have a setting that says something like "Clean Update", which removes all previous settings on the driver and returns it to the default of the update. But even though I always do that, my updates always cause different things to happen to my graphics, making them better, worse, or not changing them at all. Oh computers, why must my luck with you be so sour?

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

Every time I update my card (the nVidia one)

How often do you update your video card, and where are the updates coming from ?

I have an nVidia graphics card myself, even if it is in a Win 7 computer, and I think I have updated drivers for it once since I installed it three and a half years ago. Unlike applications like Adobe reader, Flash and the Windows OS hardware drivers do not need to be updated on a regular cycle. And do not install hardware drivers as part of Microsoft's update cycle. If you need or want to update hardware drivers, the best thing to do is to go to the manufacturer's web-site and download them direct. Essentially, if the hardware is working to spec, or to your satisfaction, leave them alone.

I suggest you go to the nVidia site and download the 64 bit Win 8 / 8.1 drivers for your card and install them. You might need to uninstall the existing set before the install will proceed but that is the way I would go.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 SoDoneWithComputers

SoDoneWithComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

How often do you update your video card, and where are the updates coming from ?

The updates come from nVidia, through the GeForce experience (a swanky nVidia program that optimizes games and delivers updates and stuff). Don't know if you have it, but that's where my updates come from. They pop up every two or three months.

Uninstalling the driver then re-installing is not something I've done, though. I'll try that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users