Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win8 x64 Daily Auto shutdown at 10:30

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 raf96

raf96

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

Well... I can't find where it could be.

From beginning... The Issue:

Everyday, at precisely 10:30 a countdown window pops out. I can cancel it, but if I won't then when timer reaches 0 (counts from 10), windows follows standard shutdown procedure. My PC is on 24/7 so if I'll walk out and miss the countdown, whatever I was working on is gone.

It's not in the bios, as some suggested, it is in windows.

I checked task scheduler, but I couldn't spot any daily shutdown tasks. Maybe I missed it, but I went through the list several times. It would be nice if there were some search option.

No event is logged in event viewer. Scanned system with MBAM just to eliminate possibility of an infection.

I don't have ANY antiviral programs running (I've had more problems with anti-viruses then any infection I have ever had.) I do run Commodo firewall, but every other thing in the package like resident protection etc. has been disabled.

Windows update is set to never check for updates, I only install any updates when I specifically request it myself. I generally hate anything that says "automated".

I just can't figure out what is sending that shutdown request. Can you guys help me out. You have been helpful in the past with some minor issues, so I'm counting on you.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, one more thing I've noticed in event viewer this...

"An attempt was made to query the existence of a blank password for an account."

something, or someone seemed to query if I have any users without password.

It queried Guest,administrator,and HomeGroupUser$

There were few attempts with different times.... was somebody "fishing"?

I also get this regularly:

Special privileges assigned to new logon.

Subject:
    Security ID:        S-1-5-18
    Account Name:        SYSTEM
    Account Domain:        NT AUTHORITY
    Logon ID:        0x3e7

Privileges:        SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
            SeTcbPrivilege
            SeSecurityPrivilege
            SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege
            SeLoadDriverPrivilege
            SeBackupPrivilege
            SeRestorePrivilege
            SeDebugPrivilege
            SeAuditPrivilege
            SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege
            SeImpersonatePrivilege

Should I be worried?

Edited by raf96, 27 March 2014 - 06:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Firs off, See if you have an Auto Shutdown enabled for daily.

This article may help...... http://techzane.com/schedule-automatic-shutdown-in-windows-8/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 raf96

raf96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

Well, That did not help. I do know how to set up scheduled task, but I don't recall setting anything for auto shutdown. And as I said, I have browsed through all the task listed there, but nothing was scheduled for 10:30pm.

Now I have just tried changing the clock to 10:25pm, and the shutdown did not go off. at 10:30

That would suggest, that it's not based on the time, but possibly as a repeat every 24h. What do you think?

Is there something in computer policy that could do something like that?

Edited by raf96, 27 March 2014 - 07:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users