Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-system Disk Or Disk Error

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DougA

DougA

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:52 PM

Have an HP desktop. Locked,powered off and got a "non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready. Doing as said just repeats the message.
Assume I have suffered a crash.
I have a Reinstallation CD for Windows XP Pro (Dell).
I'm a beginner. Hope someone can step me thru this recovery. This is second crash. Been running fine for about a year....lost my notes from last year.
Much thanks in advance.

Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

it sounds like your hardrive is going out try replacing your hardrive,i had the same problem on an hp i replaced the hdd and have not had any problems out of it

Edited by bandaid1968, 17 May 2006 - 12:59 PM.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:59 PM

Have an HP desktop. Locked,powered off and got a "non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready. Doing as said just repeats the message.

Doing so just repeats the message. Doing what? Did you replace a disk? Or just strike a key?

Do you have any disks in any of the drives when you boot the computer? Floppy or CD or ZIP or otherwise?

I'm a beginner. Hope someone can step me thru this recovery. This is second crash. Been running fine for about a year....lost my notes from last year.

If it comes down to reinstalling Windows, would you like to save any data first, or is it ok just to wipe things out?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 DougA

DougA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for the response.
Bandaid1968. Thanks for the thought. Is changing the hard drive much different than changing CD/DVD drives? Those seem simple; I've done that a couple of times.

Albert Frankenstein.....1) Striking a key repeats the msg. 2) No disks in the drives. 3) As for reinstalling windows, saving data would be nice, but having to wipe things out will be OK.

I'm running with the assumption that I'll have to do a full reinstall. I did this last year and survived.

I can only bring up the SETUP pages(F1). F10 just brings me back to the DOS error msg about non-system disk.

Prefer to reinstall windows, but if necessary and not too tricky will be willing to go the hard drive route.

Thanks,

Doug

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:16 PM

The HP desktop you have what model is it?

Does it have a recovery partition on it?

The reason I ask is you state in your first post = I have a Re installation CD for Windows XP Pro (Dell).

It is not really good practice to use a Dell install CD on a HP, the installation might not go correctly and the OS might not work properly seeing as the installation disks are actually written for specific computers.

If there is a recovery partition on the computer I would suggest taking the hard drive into another computer and make it a slave so you can manually retrieve your data. Then you can return it to this computer and do a full restore off the recovery partition.

I have tried using an other companies installation CD on a different brand computer and it did not go well.

#6 DougA

DougA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

ThorXP, you are right. There was a recovery partition. I had a family member get the recovery disk. He got Dell even though I told him I had an HP. He said it would be OK. Did need a Driver or two. Can't remember all I went through.
I had a set of recovery disks that I got from HP but they would not complete the recovery. My Recovery Disks that I made when first got the system never worked.
When that stuff didn't work, that's when he got the Disk for me.

The model is an a574n. It has a 250GB Hard Drive.

I am a novice and taking the hard drive out and making it a slave so I can manually retrieve data is a scary proposition. Where can I get some detailed steps on doing that? Can the drive be put in an older computer for this process?

Thanks for your response.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:36 PM

The only thing to worry about is setting the jumpers on the hard drive properly to slave or secondary when connect it to another computer to extract the data you want to save. There should be a label on the hard drive itself that shows you where to move the jumper - if not, you can look it up on the hard drive manufacturer's support site.

The IDE cable connection can only plug in one way (leave the end connection on the hard drive that is installed on the computer you are going to use to connect your old one as a slave and connect your hard drive to the middle connector on the IDE cable), and the power connector is obvious.

If you cannot explore your old hard drive to retrieve your data once connected as a slave you will know the hard drive is bad.

Even if you can open it to retrieve data you can (and should) also download test aps from support at the manufacturer that made your hard drive to see if it is bad, has bad sectors, etc, once it is in the host computer.

Using an OEM full installation disk to install Windows on any computer should not be a problem as long as you use your valid key number (the one that came with the computer on which you are reinstalling Windows), but you may have to explain what you did to Microsoft to revalidate your XP license. That should not be a problem if your originally installed copy of XP was valid. You may need to install additional drivers for HP proprietal devices though - download them and save them so you have them ready when you do the installation.

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 May 2006 - 07:43 PM.

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:15 PM

A while ago there was a law suit that Hp had lost and they have to send out the recovery disks to all of the owners of the HP computers. A friend has the same model as you do and he just got his recovery disks all 8 of them (CD's)

Here is a site that will help you understand the jumper settings on the hard drives. Langa Letter: How To Safely Add Or Replace A Hard Drive

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=181502411

This should give you all of the info you need. Please print it out for reference.

#9 DougA

DougA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

Thanks, I'll chew this over.
I bought the computer off the shelf and I was never given a full XP Recovery disk. They said Recovery was in the computer(the recovery partition). While I did attempt to copy recovery disk as they suggested, they and the internal recovery have not worked.
After giving me a set of full recovery disks(7) and no success, HP threw their hands up and said they could do no more.
I'll see what I can do.

Thanks, Doug

#10 DougA

DougA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

ThorXP,
Thanks for your help. I believe I already have that disk set. Gave me the impression they were going an extra mile for me.
Very much appreciate the help.

Thanks, Doug

#11 DougA

DougA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:07 PM

Out of lack of confidence, I think my best bet is to put a new hard-drive.
I have a seven disk recovery that HP had sent me but never worked. Always got to the last disk and wouldn't complete the recovery.

Will these disks bring me back to my original configuration that I purchased? or will I have to use the Dell version of "ReInstall" that I bought.

Will this work? I've never worked with a blank hard-drive. What will I need to do to get one or another version of Windows XP back up and running?

Any help would be appreciated. I'll work on recovering the files on the old hard-drive when I've got a little more confidence.

Thanks much, DougA

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:12 AM

It is not particularly difficult to use the recovery disks that Dell provided you, in fact, there is an advantage in using them over the WIndows Full Installation disk as they will have all the proprital drivers and software on them that Dell originally installed in your machine.

Disconnect everything that is externally connected to the computer except for the mouse, keyboard (must be a PS2 connection on both - USB is not functional until Windows is running), and the monitor. All other devices such as anything connected to USB ports, the printer, Jump Drives, external hard drives or optical drives, etc, must be disconnected.

Examine the disks in the set. At least one will be drivers, and one will be the actual restore cd. If you have a tutorial - read it first, if not, you can get one from support at the Dell website.

Place the first disk in the cd and boot your computer. Follow the directions on the screen and on the tutorial.

#13 DougA

DougA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:29 AM

Enthusiast,
Thanks for the reply.
Want to correct something about the computer.
It was originally an HP model. The Seven Recovery Disks that I have for XP are from HP.

The Dell XP Pro Reinstallation disk was sold to me by mistake(wife's cousin). I was expecting to receive a version of XP Home that was originally on my computer. I was told "not to worry" and other than having some drivers sent to me the installation went as expected. This was last year; after the first crash.

So the real original is HP. The recovery after the first crash was a Dell XP Pro version.

An original disk never came with the purchase. They told me everything I needed was contained within the computer itself. Of course, when it crashed two months after the warranty expired, the so called recovery never worked.

Just thought this might help.

Thanks, DougA

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:01 PM

Did HP send you the disks for the particular computer you have?

If so, use them.

#15 DougA

DougA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:01 AM

Enthusiast, thanks for the reply.

"Particular"....I assumed so. My impression when talking to the tech was that was the case, but it may be just the generic a574n model that they were selling at the time.

At any rate, thanks for the advice. I am assuming that when I insert the first HP disk after following the instructions in Maxtor Drive box about formatting that I will be getting messages to follow and load the 7 disk set thru to finish?

Again, thanks, DougA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users