Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really Slow Computers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

Greetings, It's always something.  Re: Desktops, Windows 7 and Vista and three Laptops all Windows 8. The two desktips and on laptop are hard wired to the Router which is  a D-Link DIR-826 (Dual Band N600). We were sailing along until about a week ago and then it is like somebody put the brakes on. Getting on line and navigating couldn't be any slower. None of the units have had anything new installed. I had a session with D-Link last night and upgraded the Firmware. When I got done with that, I went on line and my home page appeared immediately and when I went to my e-mail (Yahoo), it loaded very quickly as well. Then we reverted back to the same slow condition. I have contacted my carrier (Cox) as well and we went thru a couple of resets on the modem and again, got that same fast download as well and then it reverted to the same slow condition.

During the contact with D-Link, it was necessary to access the system by typing in the IP address in my IE browser today, I tried it and it won't go. I get "this page cannot be displayed and when I  trouble shoot that, I get; Website (IP address) is on line but isn't responding to connection attempts. hardware changes might not have been detected.

Numerous ping and speed checks have been all over the map. The last one I took showed: ping 1131, download ..18 mbps and upload; .03 mbps.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 27 March 2014 - 07:05 PM.
Moved to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

did they have you flush dns?

Release all the ips and make sure the're automatically assigned.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

DNS flush - ipconfig /flushdns might have to do it from an elevated command prompt - right click the CMD link and run as admin.

Reset IPs - ipconfig /release and Enter then ipconfig /renew and Enter

When you do the renew it will show the IP address and stuff. The default gateway is the IP address you should enter to get into the D-Link. After you do all the things, if it's faster please go do a speed test and report results. Then if it slows down, another speed test. What speeds are you paying for, do you know?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Thanks Cave Dweller. As a matter of fact, I have been t4racking the speed since I posted and it's not good, The Ping varies from1221-24 ms, the download from .18 to .90 mbps and the upload from .01 to .41 over eight readings during the day. The readings should be Ping 0, download 1.00 and the upload  .51. After I posted, I contacted both the router people and the internet provider. The router checked out oK and when I went thru the readings of the speed test with the Tech there, they decided to send a service guy out tomorrow, (Sat. 3/29). So, at this point, although I am grateful for your input I will hold all the suggestions until the service guy checks these things out. Of course, I will post the results.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

OK...well service call normally means either they found something and are going to fix it OR they see the issue but not what's causing it. Either way I hope they get ya fixed up.

and yeah don't change anything just yet. thanks in advanced for letting us know =)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

OK. Service guy was here and installed a new modem which seems to have solved the problem. He did suggest upgrading the speed. We seem to function pretty well at the current speed so we will not change that at this time. Regardless, and until next time. Thank you for your input.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

Anytime =) Just make sure you aren't paying too much for too little speed. I switch companies every 2 years cause someone has a better price on speed + channels lol 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users