Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista box stopped connecting to buffalo nas

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wacky1980

wacky1980

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

so i have a vista home premium box connected to my home network, as well as a buffalo linkstation nas and a few other devices. i had the linkstation mapped to a drive letter in vista, and could also access the linkstation through a program called "nas navigator". i could also access the nas over ip via web browser/ddns as well. about a week or so ago, i lost connection ability to the nas from vista, in all forms. i cannot connect via the mapped drive, i cannot connect via the nas navigator, and i cannot connect via web browser. *edit to add* it's worth noting that the vista box can see the the nas on the network, and the mapped drive is still connected. i just cannot access any of the contents of the nas.

initially, i thought it was a nas issue, but i quickly realized that i did not lose _any_ connectivity on any of my other devices. every other device i use can connect with it just as they normally have, with no issues whatsoever. in doing some research, i found a couple possible causes. first, i tried to adjust the NTLM settings. apparently the buffalo nas drive uses older samba standards that cannot authenticate via NTLMv2, so i switched the registry value in vista, located at "HKLM-->SYSTEM-->CurrentControlSet-->Control-->Lsa" "LmCompatibilityLevel" to "1", defined as "Send LM & NTLM -- use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". this did not work. 

i also tried other suggestions, such as turning off IPv6 and even using IP addresses instead of device names and drive maps. nothing. so, i'm left trying to understand what may have happened to cause this sudden change in connectivity. is it possible that a recent windows update could have knocked it out? my next attempt at fixing this is to roll back any updates in the last two weeks. but in the meantime, does anyone out there have any knowledge of this issue, and/or a fix or other workaround? right now i'm forced to reboot the box into an old linux distro to transfer files between the vista drive and the nas, which is a pain (the vista reboot process is not quick).

thanks in advance, for reading and for any recommendations!

Edited by hamluis, 23 April 2014 - 04:32 PM.
Moved from Vista to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wacky1980

wacky1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

another note to add. i first noticed the issue on 3/11. coincidentally, the earliest restore point i can access is from 00:05 on 3/11. i'm sure restore points should be available much farther back than that date.

#3 wacky1980

wacky1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

me again. reverting to the earliest system restore point available (3/11/14) does not fix the problem.

#4 wacky1980

wacky1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

Bumpity.

#5 wacky1980

wacky1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Any ideas? This problem has me completely stumped. If not for the otherwise fully-functional vista box, I would just replace the PC. I can't justify all that for just this one little issue though.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

So since it sees it and the drive reconnects on reboot it sounds like a settings issue. can you map another drive?  can you look at the permissions of the first shared drive? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

right now i'm forced to reboot the box into an old linux distro to transfer files between the vista drive and the nas, which is a pain (the vista reboot process is not quick).

Have you tried running a Linux version in a VM from with Vista to see if it can connect? You could try it with VirtualBox for free: https://www.virtualbox.org

Does the computer connect to other devices fine (i.e. maybe a shared folder on another computer)?

Either of these might tells us if it is some general Vista networking issue.

#8 wacky1980

wacky1980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Have you tried running a Linux version in a VM from with Vista to see if it can connect? You could try it with VirtualBox for free: https://www.virtualbox.org

Does the computer connect to other devices fine (i.e. maybe a shared folder on another computer)?

Either of these might tells us if it is some general Vista networking issue.

i have a linux distro installed to dual-boot on this vista box. it sees the external drive just fine and has no issues with access. i have no other drives out on the network to connect to, but i have connectivity to the vista install via media streaming devices, using shared folders within vista. everything else seems to be working as normal within vista.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:05 AM

Power cycle the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users