Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant BSOD after Windows Update + CHKDSK. PLEASE HELP!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wolf4537

wolf4537

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Long story short, I've had a bunch of problems over the last few months, but it all hit the fan today.

Over the last few months when I do automatic updates, Windows hangs on the splash logo when starting up. After restarting a couple of times, I'm able to get it to work. I was thinking it was because I have 2 external drives hooked up + my Ipod as well. 

However, it started hanging even when I disconnected my external drives as well a couple weeks ago.

So yesterday, I'm uploading videos to my computer, and when I went to upload a picture on my Google+ page, I noticed one of my picture folders was empty. I tried deleting it, but it said "The directory is not empty" and gave me an error message. I read that this would be fixable with a Chkdsk, so I typed "Chkdsk: /F" into my run screen on Windows. 

Windows had already downloaded and installed updates for me. So I shut down my computer, unplugged all my external drives, and restarted my computer. 

But it wouldn't start. So I had to do it 2 more times. It finally restarted and started doing the CHKDSK. And there were A LOT of errors that it ended up fixing.

After it was done, my computer restarted. But, Chkdsk wanted to run again. So I tried skipping it. 

And....this is where it all started.

After it tried skipping, I saw a BSOD light up for less than half a second, and then the computer tried rebooting. And it kept constantly doing this.

I COULD NOT GET INTO SAFE MODE EITHER. So I know it's something serious here.

I tried launching the repair setup, and it tried looking through the errors. I was able to open the command prompt, and then noticed that my Drive letter was changed to X??????

I was prompted again to reboot, same BSOD. But now, I try to go into Repair setup, and I get a BSOD saying "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION" half way through.

I have not tried to repair Windows using the disc yet since I am at work. But I NEED help here. 

Summary:

Picture folder missing files, error message "Directory is not empty" 

Windows performed chkdsk /f + automatic update, chkdsk fixed A LOT of errors, now constantly in an endless BSOD cycle since I skipped the chkdsk after it tried doing it again after the first chkdsk.

Drive letter is switched to X?

Safe mode not working

System repair gets BSOD half way through with "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION".

My specs:

Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

WD Blue 1TB Hard Drive

16 GB Ram 

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3P

Should I try to do a system repair with the Windows disc? I don't know where my disc went but I do have a dell Windows 7 64 bit DVD that was for my dad's computer, although it was never used. Will that work?

Also, do you think my files are gone? I know I have most of them backed up but I still have a few important things that I don't want to lose. 

Please let me know. Thanks. 

Edited by wolf4537, 27 March 2014 - 02:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hi,

I think your hard drive is about to quit completely.

You don't mention what your computer is but the Dell disk has Dell drivers installed and will only work on the Dell model it was designed to support.

I would recommend that you try to back up anything critical that isn't already backed up and then get a new hard drive for a fresh start.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 wolf4537

wolf4537
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Well, I was able to at least read the blue screen that I get now:

STOP: C000021a (Fatal System error)

The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000034 0x000108b0)

The System has been shut down.

Any suggestions?

#4 wolf4537

wolf4537
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

Well, I found out that I'm pretty sure it was Windows Update that screwed it all up.

I found an error log that said "A Patch is preventing the system from starting".

Any advice at all?

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

Hi,

Just the one I made in my last message. Only now it may be that you won't be able to backup anything. Just install a new hard drive and begin again.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 wolf4537

wolf4537
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

I'm able to see the hard drive, so I doubt my stuff is gone. The system is just corrupted from what I'm gathering.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hi

I wouldn't suggest spending money to buy a new drive unless we are sure that it is faulty. Please try the below steps.

1. Download and burn Parted Magic from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

2. Boot from the disk and it will allow you to browse the partitions and copy data to an external drive.

3. Download Segate Seatool from ( yes, it will work for your WD drive ! ) the below link and burn it.

http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

4. Enter the BIOS setup and change the SATA mode to IDE emulation instead of AHCI ( if it is set to that ). Otherwise DOS based utilities won't see your HDD.

5. Boot from the CD and run "Long Test". It will take some time so wait until completes.

seatools-2.png 

Please report whether the test is a PASS or FAIL.

#8 wolf4537

wolf4537
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

Hi

I wouldn't suggest spending money to buy a new drive unless we are sure that it is faulty. Please try the below steps.

1. Download and burn Parted Magic from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

2. Boot from the disk and it will allow you to browse the partitions and copy data to an external drive.

3. Download Segate Seatool from ( yes, it will work for your WD drive ! ) the below link and burn it.

http://www.seagate.com/in/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

4. Enter the BIOS setup and change the SATA mode to IDE emulation instead of AHCI ( if it is set to that ). Otherwise DOS based utilities won't see your HDD.

5. Boot from the CD and run "Long Test". It will take some time so wait until completes.

seatools-2.png 

Please report whether the test is a PASS or FAIL.

Thanks, I'll report on this later when I get home from work. 

I bought myself a new solid state drive anyway, I plan on doing a fresh install and just copying most of my important data from the old drive if I can. 

Edited by wolf4537, 28 March 2014 - 08:39 AM.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

Hi

An SSD will worth the money you spend. If the HDD passes the test, you can keep it for secondary data storage. 

#10 wolf4537

wolf4537
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Good news, my files are still there so I copied them to an external. :)

I haven't done the test yet for the actual HDD but I will be soon.

#11 wolf4537

wolf4537
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

Well, I've ran into a new problem, with the SSD I just bought.

My friend installed Windows on my new drive, and he got everything set up for me. However..... after he finished, I got home from work, and tried using the computer with the SSD. Holy crap it boots FAST.

HOWEVER.....when I try to click on certain programs or install certain things, the computer just randomly shuts down. Out of absolutely nowhere. No BSOD, nothing.

I'm thinking it's a problem with the Windows software, because it repeatedly does this when I click on the same program I want to open. And I know it's not my CPU or anything like that, cause the temperature is under 30 C.  What do you guys think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users