Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no sound when running videos in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Daveb67

Daveb67

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

When running videos in - Youtube etc , there is no sound. Its not the slider bar in the bottom left corner and its not the volume control.

Can anybody help please :

This is my first posting - hope I've got it right?

Best regards

Daveb67

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Is your sound working on other things - playing music or games for example ?  Believe it or not, I have known people suddenly discover that their speakers are muted !

A little more info would be useful - basic info on the computer you are using such as make and model; your browser and your operating system. As one of our local supermarkets puts it 'Every little helps!'

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Daveb67

Daveb67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hello Chris,

Many thanks for replying.

Operating system is Windows 7 recently installed in lieu of XP

Yes sound is working on Windows media player , and no the speakers are not muted.

I found something on Youtube but it simply suggests looking at the sound slider bar in the bottom left hand corner ( which is already on maximum)

Computer is a PC which was "Custom made" at the computer firm where I worked a few years ago - that's not to say I'm a computer expert - I am a stress analyst so I just know how to work the software , but not the inside stuff. 

My grandson (14 yrs) is coming round tomorrow and I think we are going to put a new graphics card in (there is no screen saver at present and I believe this is normal for Windows 7 with the graphics card I had in XP.

Browser is IE11 and Google Chrome.

Best regards and thanks for your interest

Daveb67

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

That will probably solve your problem. I was always told that if you can't get your video recorder to work, grab a reasonably bright teenager off the street !

To work backwards through your points. There are screen savers in Win 7, but by default they are set to 'Off'. My favourites of all time were 3D Pipes and the 'Flying Toasters' - which I believe has been re-invented :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/17/flying_toaster_screen_savers_return_on_github/

If you want screen savers, RIGHT click on a blank piece of desktop and select 'Personalise'. At the bottom right side you will see 'Screensavers'. With modern screens they are not necessary, but still fun.

Installing a graphics card should improve your graphics performance, especially if you do any gaming, but will not do anything for your sound problem.

I have just started up IE 11 and run two or three YouTube videos and the sound worked fine for me, so it sounds like the problem lies with your browser(s). You Tube is still heavily dependant on Flash so it will be worth your while to make sure you have the latest versions. Note that there are two versions of Flash, one for IE and one for 'Other browsers'. Since you use Chrome as well, you will need both. Apart from anything else, having out-dated versions is a known security risk. You can get Flash here :

www.adobe.com

It is also worth your while to make sure that you have the latest drivers for your audio system. If you don't know what your audio hardware consists of, click 'Start - Control panel - System' and in the top left hand corner you will see 'Device manager'. Click on this and, in the box that appears, you will see 'Sound, Video and Game controllers'. If you expand this you will find the entry for your audio devices and double clicking on them will bring up a box which tells you maker and type among a lot of other information.  Then it is just a matter of going to the maker's web-site and downloading the latest drivers for your model and OS.

Just in case there is a different hardware problem, please download and run 'Speccy' which you can get from here :

www.piriform.com

It will give quite a detailed view of your hardware and show up problems. When you have run it, click 'File' then 'Publish snapshot'. You will then get a URL to the report on your computer. Copy and Paste this into your next post and I will have a look at it, if the 14 year old doesn't solve the problem first !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Daveb67

Daveb67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

Chris !!!!!

You are a star - the solution was - as you said , grab a 14 year old and drag him in off the street. It took him the best part of 30 seconds to solve it.

However , whilst waiting for him - I tried the screen saver as you said bur for every screen saver it said "The screen saver can not run because it requires a newer video card or one which is compatible with Direct 3d"

I went in to Device manager and noted all the details , went to Update driver and it said I was already using the best driver.

I wasn't sure about the Adobe because I already have Flash player installed so I tried running a video on both IE11 and Chrome and in both cases there was no sound.

I downloaded your "Speccy" and ran that and it said there was no problem with anything.

At this point the 14 year old turned up , went to some sound sliders in the bottom right corner of the screen and then hit something called "Mixer" and it showed that the sound was muted in both IE and Chrome. Moved the slider and suddenly its fine ( I knew this all along - just waiting to see if he knew)

He then guided me through the process of purchasing a new video card.

So my first encounter with the bleeping computer forum is a roaring success and many thanks for your help and interest ( I can arrange for the 14 year old to be hired out if you like)/

Best regards

Daveb67

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

Glad you got it sorted, but you can keep your 14 year old - we have plenty around here. But thanks for the offer !

Adobe.com is the website of the company that produces Flash, however the appearance of their site seems to vary slightly from one country to another. If you click 'Downloads' on your local version you will get taken to a page where, for example, you will find Flash, the Adobe PDF reader as well as all their commercial products. It is fairly important to keep things like Flash and the Adobe PDF reader up to date because they are known for being vulnerable to malware.

Happy computing - and keep that 14 year old handy, you never know when you might need him again !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users