Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7x64 - some prog won't launch & task mgr can't end them

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tjoli

tjoli

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

For the last few weeks I've been having trouble with some programs not loading on my system. I haven't made any major changes before or after. The two that I'm not able to open are Photoshop 7 (old, I know) and Skyrim via Steam, the latter I'm including here because its symptoms are the same as PS7 and other Steam games work fine, leading me to believe it's not the game client itself.

PS7: Basically the grey program background comes up as any empty window for about 15 seconds and then closes again. I've uninstalled the program completely and re-installed it, the copy is the same one I've used for years and never had issue with. If I try to open PS7 again, the same thing happens every time and I accumulate multiple processes all at exactly 112KB, up to 6 or 7 of them. The only way to get rid of them is to reboot the computer.

Once the window disappears, it doesn't appear in the Applications section of the Task Manager but it does show up in the Processes list as 112KB. I'm not able to end the process in TM, even using "End Process Tree". It doesn't report an error, it just allows me to click End Process/End Tree and nothing happens at all.

When I tried loading PS7 in safe mode and it gave me an insufficient virtual memory error (which hadn't come up in regular Windows) so I adjusted the allocated VM, rebooted and tried again, same problem. Photoshop will now open, but only in safe mode... regular still gives me the grey background before closing and hanging out in processes. I tested the PS7 install on my laptop (Vista) and it worked perfectly, so I'm confident it's not the program itself. 

Skyrim: Does the same as above, loads the launcher and then upon clicking to open the game, the window disappears and nothing launches, just goes back to desktop and the process doesn't appear in Task Manager. Have done a full reinstall (and I have physical install discs for this game, not downloaded files) but it's made no change. Again, Task Manager isn't able to close the process even using End Process Tree.

I've run Avast (my regular antivirus), MalwareBytes and ADWCleaner and they've all come back clean. I tried a system restore point to the beginning of March and it error'd out saying that the restore points had all disappeared, leaving only one from six days ago, which was well after I started having this issue. I know this isn't a forum for troubleshooting specific programs but given that two completely unconnected ones are doing the same thing, I believe it to be something with Windows, especially given the failed System Restore and the fact that Task Manager isn't able to end the processes like normal.

Sorry for the info dump! Can anyone help?

Edited by hamluis, 28 March 2014 - 10:30 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

Try running Malwarebytes in Cameleon mode.

Update Malwarebytes and do the following.

Running Malwarebytes Chameleon.

1. Please open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

2. Click on More Tools, then open click on Chameleon.

3. An image like the one below will appear on your screen. Follow the instructions to get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware running.

Chameleon_zpsfd335ac6.png

Please scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

• Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET Online Scan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan

• Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.

• For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

• Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer.
      Save it to your Desktop.

• Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png to download the ESET Smart Installer. icon on your Desktop.

• Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."

• Click the Start button.

• Accept any security warnings from your browser.

• Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives"and "Remove found threats"

• Click Advanced settings and select the following:

• Scan potentially unwanted applications

• Scan for potentially unsafe applications

• Enable Anti-Stealth technology

• ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.

• When the scan completes, click List Threats

• Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

• Click the Back button.

• Click the Finish button.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tjoli

tjoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

@dc3

I'm sorry, my Malware Bytes doesn't have an option for More Tools, and it says Chameleon is only part of the Premium level. Running: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.00.0.1000

eta: I will run the other scan as indicated though.

Edited by tjoli, 27 March 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#4 tjoli

tjoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

MALWAREBYTES LOG:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 3/27/2014
Scan Time: 4:28:50 PM
Logfile: malb.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.0.1000
Malware Database: v2014.03.27.06
Rootkit Database: v2014.03.25.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Chameleon: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Amanda

Scan Type: Custom Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 400089
Time Elapsed: 42 min, 54 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Shuriken: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 2
PUP.Optional.Conduit.A, C:\System Volume Information\SystemRestore\FRStaging\Program Files (x86)\BrowserPlus2\BrowserPlus2ToolbarHelper.exe, , [0f333ace8fecd75f6abdff1ff30d16ea], 
PUP.Optional.Conduit, C:\System Volume Information\SystemRestore\FRStaging\Program Files (x86)\Conduit\Community Alerts\Alert.dll, , [f34f000845365ed888f399960000ac54], 

Physical Sectors: 0
(end)

ESET LOG: 

C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files (x86)\BrowserPlus2\hk64tbBrow.dll.vir Win64/Toolbar.Conduit.B potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files (x86)\BrowserPlus2\hktbBrow.dll.vir Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.X potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files (x86)\BrowserPlus2\ldrtbBrow.dll.vir a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.P potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files (x86)\BrowserPlus2\prxtbBrow.dll.vir Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.X potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files (x86)\BrowserPlus2\tbBrow.dll.vir a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.X potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Users\Amanda\AppData\LocalLow\BrowserPlus2\hk64tbBrow.dll.vir Win64/Toolbar.Conduit.B potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Users\Amanda\AppData\LocalLow\BrowserPlus2\hktbBrow.dll.vir Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.X potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Users\Amanda\AppData\LocalLow\BrowserPlus2\ldrtbBrow.dll.vir a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.P potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Users\Amanda\AppData\LocalLow\BrowserPlus2\tbBrow.dll.vir a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.X potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Amanda\Downloads\ccsetup406.exe Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Amanda\Downloads\ccsetup411.exe Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D potentially unsafe application deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Amanda\Downloads\solitaire-setup.exe Win32/DownloadAdmin.G potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
C:\Users\Amanda\Downloads\Thoosje_Sevenbar_by_Thoosje.zip a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.B potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
D:\Amanda's Stuff\MyDocs\Install_AIM.exe Win32/Adware.WBug.A application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
D:\Programs\ccsetup311.exe Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.E potentially unsafe application deleted - quarantined
D:\Programs\dream-mkv-to-avi-converter.exe Win32/Somoto.F potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
D:\Programs\HC2Setup.exe Win32/Somoto.F potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
D:\Programs\Thoosje Windows Vista Sidebar Installer.exe Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.A potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

When cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 tjoli

tjoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

@dc3

As I'd mentioned in the initial post, this was one I'd already tried before posting here. Per usual the system got hung up on the "logging off" part of the automatic reboot but once you force shut down, it gave me this log:

ADWCLEANER LOG:

# AdwCleaner v3.022 - Report created 28/03/2014 at 12:17:08
# Updated 13/03/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (64 bits)
# Username : Amanda - AMANDA-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Amanda\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Amanda\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\adpkifcfcacgmnggcbpbjbkdijciiigm

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v10.0.9200.16843

-\\ Google Chrome v33.0.1750.154

[ File : C:\Users\Amanda\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\preferences ]

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [3658 octets] - [21/03/2014 01:45:27]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [1005 octets] - [28/03/2014 12:15:11]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [3775 octets] - [21/03/2014 01:46:37]
AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [930 octets] - [28/03/2014 12:17:08]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [989 octets] ##########

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

Please run a Clean Boot to see if we can narrow down the culprit.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  I repeat, by disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot this means that there is a Service which is causing this proble, continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

#8 tjoli

tjoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

I disabled all the Services and rebooted, same problem as before.

The only thing left checked is the avast! antivirus and when I uncheck it in both Services and Startup, and hit apply, it puts the checkmark back in. Nothing else is shown as running once I've selected the "Hide all Microsoft services".

eta: I forced avast off and suddenly Photoshop launched. Task manager is still not able to close the 2 112KB versions that are stuck up in the processes list however.

Edited by tjoli, 28 March 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Do Option B.

#10 tjoli

tjoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

With nothing checked in Services (aside from Microsoft things) and nothing checked in Startup except the avast! that I could not uncheck, the problem persisted after rebooting.

Edited by tjoli, 28 March 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

My apologies for getting back so late, my life outside of Bleeping Computer had to come first.

I would like to see if Avast is part of the problem.  To do this it will require uninstalling Avast, so first you need to download Avast but don't install it yet.  Close your browser so you are off line and then uninstall Avast.  With you Services and Startup items unchecked reboot and see if this continues.  After you have done this install Avast from the download.

#12 tjoli

tjoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

(Of course, no worries on the delay.)

That seems to have fixed it, I did a little more digging and it seems as though avast's DeepScreen got an update that flagged PS7 as questionable. I've only run the program for 10+ years, but now it doesn't like it. GO FIGURE! Re installed avast with an exclusion for PS7, rebooted normally and it's now running great. Now that I knew where to look, I'm also finding online that other Steam users have had trouble with avast and launching some games.

Thanks so much for your patience and help!

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Glad it worked out. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users